1. Don’t wear jeans that are too tight. Stay away from muffin top! Size up in the waist to ensure proper fit. If they are too loose in the leg, consider taking them to a tailor.
2. Don’t wear jeans that are too short. Wearing jeans that are too short can make the leg look shorter than it actually is. Concentrate on finding a pair that hits a couple of inches below the ankle bone, which will elongate the leg. If you’re tall, check out the Wiki on finding longer length jeans.
Lorna’s note – For the length, you should always make sure your jeans cover your heels, it looks much better than if your shoes are showing, unless you are wearing skinnies. The hem should be about a cm off the floor. It will make your legs look incredibly long!
3. Don’t wear jeans that have distressing and bleaching on the legs. This can make hips and thighs look bigger than they actually are. Look for jeans that are a solid dark color, this creates a slimming look.
4. Don’t wear jeans that are too big. The baggy boyfriend style is popular and trendy, however, it can be unflattering if it’s too big. Make sure they fit properly.
5. Don’t wear decals. Printed jeans are becoming increasingly popular but if you’re going to try this trend, opt for all over pattern, rather than airbrushing and spotted decals.
6. Don’t wear jeans that are too low. Low riding jeans were popular but avoid anything too low. Showing your underwear is just tacky. More and more designers are producing higher rise jeans so you can avoid being an exhibitionist.
Sponsored by Scion
Gilt Groupe is having a Diesel sale right now! It includes lots of their denim from their Diesel Black Gold range and their Diesel range. I love Diesel!
Gilt Man is having a PPD (Paige Premium Denim for men) sale on Wednesday 13th October. I would recommend this sale! Paige makes amazing men’s jeans!
Rue La La is having an Antik Denim sale on Wednesday 13th October.
Beyond The Rack has an Antik sale and a True Religion sale going on at the moment. Definitely check those out! True Religion is our Denim Brand of the Month.
Modnique is having a Peoples Liberation sale on Wednesday 13th October.
Chip and Pepper have some great new styles coming in their Spring 2011 collection. They have a couple of boyfriend jeans, shown above, that I think are probably my favorite from this line. I think they are a great fit and the washes are amazing. They also have a pair of shorts, I think these will also are pretty cool. They also have a wide-leg style, called the Farrah, and a a pair of white flares, the Stella, and I can’t forget the cargo leggings. You can check out these styles below.
It seems like everyone is branching out to denim these days. The newest addition to the market is handbag and accessory superstar, Kate Spade! The brand has launched their first pair of jeans, The Broome Street jean, which puts a modern twist on the brand’s classic style. It’s a great skinny jean which hits right at the ankle. It is made from cotton, spandex and Lycra to make for a super flattering fit. The Broome Street sits higher on the hip, skims the thigh and is available in a universally flattering dark wash. They’re available in sizes 23-34 and are available for purchase for $195 at Katespade.com. I can’t wait to see what other styles the brand comes up with!