Here is an easy way to get yourself some tie-dye destroyed jeans. What you will need:
1. White jeans-you can use jeans that have been a little dirty because hey you are going to dye them anyways. The 100% cotton jeans are the best to destroy as they fray the most though the stretch versions can work too just not as well.
2. Procion Dye-you can buy the dye here I do not suggest trying black as it is a very hard color to tie-dye. All other colors should work fine though. 2 oz is enough dye to do about 3 pairs of jeans.
3. Soda Ash Fixer-you can buy the ash fixer here This will set the dye so that it does not bleed too much. One cup of Soda Ash Fixer is enough to do two small pairs of jeans.
4. Rubber Gloves.
5. Newspapers – you don’t want to dye your house, so these will help protect your work area.
6. Empty squirt bottle (optional) – you can squirt the dye on the jeans if you have one of these
7. Measuring cup, measuring tablespoon, plastic spoon (optional) – you can measure your dye and soda ash fixer and use the plastic spoon in place of the squirt bottle to get the dye on the jeans.
8. Thick rubber bands – to bunch the jeans up and hold them in place
9. Plastic bag – you have to let the jeans sit wet for 4-24 hours to set the dye, a plastic bag is perfect for this.
First, using a cheese grater and a block of wood behind the jean, you can destroy the knees or any other areas you want to have that ripped look.
Second, lay your jeans flat on the floor. Have the rubber bands close by you.
Start bunching up your jeans like the picture above.
Wrap the rubber bands around your jeans, try to get them into the tightest ball you can, remember the parts of the jeans that you can see on the ball is what is going to be dyed. Now prepare the Soda Ash Fixer (1 cup fixer for one gallon of luke warm water) and completely emerse the jeans in the Soda Ash Fixer for about 5 minutes. Then take the wet jean ball and squeeze to remove the excess, you want to keep the jeans damp, but not dripping wet.
Now mix the Procion Dye as directed (1 tablespoon for one cup luke warm water for most colors). You can now either transfer it to the squirt bottle and squirt it on your jeans or you can spoon it on your jeans. Do not emerse your jeans in the dye (you probably won’t have enough dye to do that anyway) You want dye all around on the outside of the jean ball, one splash of dye is enough, don’t soak them too heavily with dye. Next you put the wet jean ball in a plastic bag and close the bag so no air can get into it; you want the jeans to be wet so that the dye can react. Let the jeans sit in the bag for 4-24 hours then remove the jeans and rinse (still tied up) under cold water until the water runs pretty clear. Then as you are removing the rubber bands, rinse the jeans under warm water until the water is pretty clear. Almost done! Now put the jeans in the washer on hot with detergent.
The last thing is to admire your work. I hope that you enjoy and have fun doing it! Be creative and make some hot jeans!
Here is day 3 in the wonderful series of posts about how Paige Adams-Geller, designer and founder of Paige Premium Denim lives her life. If you missed the previous posts don’t worry! Click here for Day 1 and click here for Day 2. Also check out the gallery for more behind the scenes images of the 2010 Look Book! These posts are exclusive to DenimBlog only!
The Lou Lou Tulip Jean (Image from the 2010 Look Book).
Wednesday, July 29
6:00 Wake up – Same routine!
9:30 Interview candidates for new sales rep position.
11:00 Meet with Retail Manager of the LA Paige store, Annette Luna, and web coordinator to go over Transition 11/30 and 12/30 buys for our store and web. Marketing and PR managers sit in as well to review the line!
12:30 Lunch with my dear friend Eula Smith, retail consultant, at Akasha in Culver City. Love their salads, coffee and baby cupcakes!
2:00 Review Spring 2010 line with my sales reps! We need to be prepared for the shows coming up! Project and Coterie are around the corner. The Venice style in Coast is going to be a winner!
3:00 Fitting of new development and production.
4:00 Call backs for models for photo shoot.
5:00 Discuss photo shoot with photographer and stylist as well as my PR and marketing team! Needs to look perfect!
6:00 Finalize outfits for Look Book and Trend Book Spring 2010.
7:30 Dinner with Kathleen, Allie, Courtney, Lacie and myself at Marino’s Restaurant. The Marino family is my second family! The best old-school Italian food in town! Gotta have the pizza and eggplant parmesan and chicken cacciatore.
8:30 Pantages Theatre to see the play, Dirty Dancing, with my design, marketing and PR gals, Kathleen, Allie, Courtney and Lacie. I wanted to thank them for all their hard work on the Paige and OPI collaboration.
11:30 Home to bed.
It’s time to talk shoes! We all have a favourite pair of jeans, be it a certain pair of skinny jeans you always wear or a classic pair of bootcuts. What I want to know is – what are your favourite shoes to wear with your favourite pair of jeans? I myself am in love with lots of pairs of Christian Louboutins, I love a great pair of heels with my skinnys, I can’t afford any Louboutins though haha so I have to make do, but what are your favourite brands of shoes? Why not even post a comment with a picture of the shoes as well? Shoes are just as important as denim and they make or break an outfit so lets give them some credit! I know I am always looking at celebs shoes just as much as their denim.
You can purchase all of the shoes at Net-A-Porter.com
Proudly wearing her engagement ring, Rachel Bilson was spotted out visiting a studio in Hollywood wearing her Paige Premium Jeans. The former “OC” actress toted a couple of dry cleaned items as she did her best to ignore paparazzi following her every move.
Photos Courtesy of Gossipgirls