Popular posts section
This denim skirt above is by Karl Lagerfield by Chanel. It was dress of the year 1991.
I took a trip to the Fashion Museum in Bath, England to view the special denim garments that are not on display. I had to make an appointment to do so and wear gloves because the items are so delicate. It was so interesting to see all of the denim items from years and years ago, it really gives you an insight as to what people would have worn. I actually really love the denim dress below, it’s so cute! I would wear that right now without the under garment though. Keep on reading to find out more information on the items. I will also be putting a second post up with other items that were on display but they are not denim, they are from hundreds of years ago.
This was dress of the year 1988, the Junior Gaultier ensemble, which is a denim pinafore dress. It’s gorgeous! It’s made of really thick denim which is quite stiff and it’s almost black in colour rather than blue. It has a belt detail on the bottom of the dress. The belt around the middle is also a great asset because it would accentuate the waist. It comes with a black netted under dress which doesn’t look too comfortable in all honesty, I would prefer the dress without the under garment. The dress is size UK 8 and is 33 inches long. It measures 13.5 inches across the middle as well. It’s really cool to see a dress that was made the same year as I was born.
This denim suit above is Jean Paul Gaultier from around 1990. It’s a thinner, soft denim with faces all over the suit. The faces are woven in backwards, so on the inside of the jacket an jeans the faces are blue. I thought this was so cool! It’s really clever how you can do such a thing. It’s 100% cotton and a man’s size 32. The inseam is only a 29 inch though and the trousers have a 14.5″ measurement aligned at the waist with an 11 inch rise. I think this is smaller than the average size 32 now. I don’t know who would wear this kind of suit in 1990 but it’s very well made and so much time must have been taken to create this jacket and jeans.
Above is a Levi’s jacket from the 1980’s period. It has a white tab instead of a red tab on the pocket. It’s 100% cotton and a size 36 which is equivalent to a size UK 10 I think. It measured 18 inches across the middle and 29.5 inches long. I think this jacket is a pretty good design, I can imagine it being really popular years ago, it seems like the type of denim jacket a lot of people would want to own.
Lastly is this cotton/denim suit which is unfortunately unclaimed. I included a blwon up photo of the button so hopefully one of you could ID them. I originally thought it was an Armani button but it’s a bit different to their button. I don’t know the date but I would assume it was from the 1970’s based on the trousers. It’s a men’s suit and has a 32 inch inseam, 11 inch leg opening which is right for flares and an 11 inch rise. The waist measures 17.5 inches and the label states size 42. I think it runs really small compared to our sizes today. It’s strange how over the years the sizes just keep getting bigger and bigger! It has pockets on the front and the back as well. Could anyone help out with the brand? It’s also possible that was just a random button sewn on as a replacement. The suit does look like a sample garment though.
Images all taken from the beautiful Fashion Museum, Bath & North East Somerset Council.
Okay so I admit it, I was kind of shocked by some of the top choices here. I guess my style radar is off sometimes LOL But we can’t argue with our readers so here is what our DenimBlog readers 2009 Top Celeb Favorite Outfit choices were. Vanessa Hudgens took the lead in the polls with 469 votes! Now this is a bit of a big poll but we were interested to know which celeb outfit is your favorite throughout the whole of 2009. Pick your winner from the favourite outfit images on this blog post (Vanessa Hudgens above and the gallery below).
Here is the countdown! We scored these top ten denim divas by two things: how often they wore denim by our blog history added to the variety of brands they wore. Without further ado…
#10. Audrina Patridge (score 30) Now seriously, did you ever get sick of hearing us say “Audrina Patridge in Divine Rights of Denim”? I might have gotten sick of saying it, but she did rock the jeans very well and did a bang up job of representing DRD, they certainly got their money’s worth!
#9. Heidi Montag (score 30) We gave Heidi the #9 spot instead of having her tie with Audrina because she wore a larger variety of brands than Audrina. Heidi wore a great selection of denim this past year and we salute her for the effort! With her media grabbing Speidi skills maybe she can climb our Denim Diva poll for next year!
#8. Megan Fox (score 31) Though she took the #1 spot for the “Sexiest and Worst” Actress of 2009 she landed as #8 in our rankings. Megan is sexy as hell but she needs to heat up some more denim for us!
#7. Ciara (score 32) Ciara seriously rocks! And by that I don’t just mean the stage or her music, she can really rock in denim! She has, in my opinion, one of the hottest bodies out there. I’ve enjoyed seeing her denim style through out this year.
#5/6(Tie). Jennifer Garner (score 34) Jennifer Garner has been spotted many times being her casual and busy Mommy self in jeans. Though she wears a few different brands, she seems to favor 7 For All Mankind and I personally 100% agree with her for comfort and fit of 7 For All Mankind jeans.
#5/6(Tie). Vanessa Hudgens (score 34) Ahhh wasn’t she just yesterday a Disney princess? Okay so maybe not an actual Disney princess, but she has certainly grown up. It seems like she has went from “cute” to “beautiful” in the year 2009!
#4. Rihanna (score 36) You know I really see Rihanna as more of a “Fashion Forward” icon. She hasn’t been spotted in many of the mainstream denim brands and really doesn’t seem to wear denim all that often unless it makes a fashion statement, but Kudos to Rihanna for taking Denim to the next level in many of her outfits.
#3. Jessica Alba (score 49) I am very glad that Jessica is in the top three. I love her outfits and style; she is a busy Mom but she knows how to put a little extra flair into her everyday casual ensemble to keep it fashionable and current.
#2. Lindsay Lohan (score 59) When I first started this blog post I really thought Lilo would be the #1 since we have seen her in just about every denim brand possible. She was blogged in over 20 denim brands and owns at least 3 pairs of Balmain jeans that we know of. Her score just didn’t hit the high as she wasn’t blogged by us as many times as the #1 spot, though she has been spotted in many more brands, even as the media pounds into Lilo and she keeps having troubles, I adore her fashion sense and her die hard love of denim!
Click here to reveal who Denimblog’s Top Denim Diva for 2009 is…
Has the recession got you down? Got the no-new-denim-blues? Don’t despair, DenimBlog will show you where to shop the sales to find your designer denim for less! Score! Welcome to the new guide for the best places to buy mens and womens designer jeans on the cheap! We did our research, and these are our favorites sites for the best sales on designer jeans, best customer service, and selection!
1. RevolveClothing.com – When we surveyed our HonestForum members, this website came out number one for customer service and selection. You can’t go wrong with Revolve – plus they have great sales on designer denim!
2. eBay – Again, we surveyed our readers, and we still love eBay – despite the many fakes still on the site. Feel free to swing by our denim forum if you want to check the authenticity of any eBay items.
Top eBay sellers we recommend (see the blog’s sidebar for a full list of recommended eBay sellers):
3. Yoox – Yoox is especially a favorite of Diesel fans, because they have some deep discounts on Diesel as well as other brands like Rock & Republic, J Brand and more. I once found a pair of $25 Rock & Republics on Yoox! Score!
4. ShopBop – A close runner up to Revolve, ShopBop also has excellent customer service and a great selection, and awesome sales of course, sometimes as much as 70% off! And we love their new denim guide videos too!
5. National Jean Company – A newer site but awesome for the jeans lover in you! They carry hot new brands like Current/Elliott, plus some lesser known brands!
6. E-Luxury – Another site that you can’t go wrong with for their customer service, and great sales. Don’t you just feel super luxe shopping at a site called E-Luxury?! It’s fabulous, dahhhhling. Check out their wide selection of Rich & Skinny and Rock & Republic jeans!
7. True Jeans – This site helps you match your body type to your best suited designer jeans. Love that!
8. Bluefly – Gotta love Bluefly’s deep discounts on denim and fab sales! Especially great for those who love Joe’s Jeans, Paper Denim & Cloth, J Brand and more! Like, duh, they have great sunglasses, tops, shoes and handbags to match too! Check out the discounted Gucci and Prada, I could die and go to heaven!
9. Tobi – I love Tobi – they are a new favorite of mine. Their photos are so crisp and clear, so they really give you a good idea of what the jeans will look like when you get them! And their customer service is wonderful too!
10. Nordstrom – When I am looking for “Deals of the Day” for the blog, I always check out Nordstrom. They tend to have great sales on Diesel, 7 for All Mankind, True Religion, and all the major denim brands. Love that!
Other great websites for denim deserving honorable mentions for their dedication to the authentic designer denim realm:
- Anonymous Venice
- TheHipChick – get $10 off orders over $250!
- Pink Mascara
- Saks Fifth Avenue
- Singer 22
- ShopJake – take 10% off on full priced women’s items with code “womens08″
Oh yeah, and you want super secret sample sale and private sale websites? We got ’em, complete with invite links! Just click on them to join!