This weeks review is on a pair of Citizens of Humanity Avedon skinny jeans in Black Wax Twill. I have always been fond of the waxed denim look and I wanted to give it a try with a brand that I know and like the fit of. I tried the Avedon jeggings many months ago in a dark blue wash and I was hooked on the fit! They fit amazingly and these are no exception.
The jeans have the perfect Avedon skinny jean fit that you are used to if you love Citizens of Humanity, they are skinny all the way down but not as skinny as an ankle peg jean and they have a bit of a longer inseam so it gives that stacking look that I am fond of on my jeans. The rise is the perfect height as well and the pockets are positioned in exactly the right place to give your butt that perfect shape that everyone loves in a jean. I was originally apprehensive about trying Citizens of Humanity jeans, mainly because I wasn’t too fond of the older washes and the back pocket logo is one I am also not too keen on, but have grown to like. I do prefer their signature pocket design to be the same colour as the wash of the jean so it’s not too in your face, so these are perfect for that.
I want to talk about the wash most importantly because I was very eager to try this waxed denim trend and I was hoping for a pair that were very shiny and give off that faux leather look, these unfortunately are not it. They don’t shine very much at all, they have more of a subtle waxed look about them rather than that shiny look that I originally wanted. Although they don’t meet my needs of being like faux leather, the wash however is a very nice black, it’s a black that looks really clean and crisp, one that looks amazing dressed up even if it is a major hair magnet because of the wax finish.
One thing I always thought was odd about waxed/faux leather style jeans was how much they give you that sausage leg look, I always assumed this reason was because they were being worn much too tight and the wearers had literally stuffed their legs into the jeans, but I found out that this was not the case. It seems that, because of the wax on the denim, they seem to give off that look and fit that way even when they are not too tight. The fabric doesn’t seem to bend and stretch as much as normal denim because of the coating, it seems to fit a little bit more awkward on the legs which creates the sausage leg illusion.
Overall though I do love the Avedon fit from Citizens of Humanity, I think it’s such a flattering and well fitting jean that is so versatile and perfect for any occasion. If you are looking for a very shiny waxed jean then I wouldn’t recommend this wash but I would suggest it if you are looking for a gorgeous, classic and clean black wash. Now I can’t wait to try more waxed denim in my search for something extra shiny! Buy these jeans at Donna Ida in the sale for only £95.
Jeans courtesy of Donna Ida.
DenimBlog has launched a brand new feature called DenimBlog Submit. DenimBlog Submit is a separate page on DenimBlog where you can upload your own content like funny fashion images, interesting stories, any scoops etc, it’s up to you readers! You can find the submit button in the side bar and it will take you straight to the upload page. What are you waiting for? Share your crazy fashion content with us now! Click here to go to the brand new Upload page.
I showed the wonderful denim jewellery brand, K.B LuSH, to you a little while ago and you saw just how gorgeous some of their pieces are! Now is your chance to WIN 2 pieces from their brand! 2 lucky DenimBlog readers will be chosen from the entries. One will win a DenHem and a Basic Bitch bracelet and the other will win a Denim Hearts Necklace and a Basic Bitch bracelet.
All you have to do to enter this contest is leave a comment on this blog post with your name and a valid email address in the boxes provided and tell us why you love K.B LuSH Denim Jewellery! It’s as simple as that!
The contest will be open worldwide for 2 weeks and will close on the 1st November 2010. The winners will be selected by K.B LuSH once the contest is over. You can also increase your chances of winning by adding K.B LuSH on Twitter and on FaceBook and DenimBlog on Twitter and on FaceBook. Good luck to everyone who enters and thank you to K.B LuSH for holding this contest with us!
1. Don’t wear jeans that are too tight. Stay away from muffin top! Size up in the waist to ensure proper fit. If they are too loose in the leg, consider taking them to a tailor.
2. Don’t wear jeans that are too short. Wearing jeans that are too short can make the leg look shorter than it actually is. Concentrate on finding a pair that hits a couple of inches below the ankle bone, which will elongate the leg. If you’re tall, check out the Wiki on finding longer length jeans.
Lorna’s note – For the length, you should always make sure your jeans cover your heels, it looks much better than if your shoes are showing, unless you are wearing skinnies. The hem should be about a cm off the floor. It will make your legs look incredibly long!
3. Don’t wear jeans that have distressing and bleaching on the legs. This can make hips and thighs look bigger than they actually are. Look for jeans that are a solid dark color, this creates a slimming look.
4. Don’t wear jeans that are too big. The baggy boyfriend style is popular and trendy, however, it can be unflattering if it’s too big. Make sure they fit properly.
5. Don’t wear decals. Printed jeans are becoming increasingly popular but if you’re going to try this trend, opt for all over pattern, rather than airbrushing and spotted decals.
6. Don’t wear jeans that are too low. Low riding jeans were popular but avoid anything too low. Showing your underwear is just tacky. More and more designers are producing higher rise jeans so you can avoid being an exhibitionist.