or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cold sores!

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I can feel one forming on one corner of my lips. I did some research and found that you get them when you're stressed and/or on your period--I have both right now. Ugh.

They're suggesting using topical medicine on it, but I have no time to run out and get some. Anyone know a natural/easy way to relieve the pain and unappealing sight of it?
post #2 of 20
I constantly keep an ice cube on it when i start to feel the tingle of one coming on.

If you could get to a Target/Walmart or drug store this time of night, definitely buy Abreva.
post #3 of 20
whenever I feel one coming, I constantly gargle with Listerine and put a lot of Vaseline on
post #4 of 20
I used to get cold sores once every 2 weeks. It was bad. I started taking Olive leaf extract a year ago and I have had one cold sore during the entire year, and it was my fault becasue I skipped a few doses, like a month of doses. I won't do that again!

Ice works if you get to it fast enough, an alcohol based product, I used one called bendodyne(sp) comes in a white tube with blue writing and a sponge tip and it got rid of it at least a week faster and kept it from becoming a ginormous sore. You also want to up your Vitamin C as it boosts the immune system and stress, periods, etc, cause a drop in the immune system, leaving you suseptible to cold sores. But I absolutely SWEAR by olive leaf, you can even use it on a cotton ball right on the cold sore to kill the virus. I have read that echenacea right on the sore works as well.
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
I'm pressing ice to it right now and drinking orange juice. I will go out tomorrow to buy the ointments. Thanks!
post #6 of 20
Definitely Abreva ~ that stuff is expensive, but works good IMO
post #7 of 20
I dont get them personally, but my mom does on a regular basis, I recommend Abreva, hers disapear so fast.
post #8 of 20
Here is a bunch of home remedies for cold sores:

# Apply ice for five to ten minutes each hour at the start of the cold sores. This will prevent their further development.
# Apply a tea bag for five to ten minutes each hour at the start of the cold sores. The tannic acid in the tea has antiviral properties. This will prevent their further development.
# Press a warm tea bag on the cold sore for 20-30 minutes. Within five days the sores will disappear.
# Avoid acidic or salty foods.
# Foods high in arginine such as those containing chocolate, peanuts and other nuts, grains, peas, seeds, oatmeal and whole-wheat products should be reduced from the diet.
# Reduce intake of coffee.
# Taking B complex supplements with B12 vitamin and folic acid is helpful.
# Make the following formula and store it in a bottle.
Coconut oil : 100 ml, Dettol : 2 ml, and Carbolic acid: 3 ml (available from chemical shops)

Apply it on cold sores once or twice. This formula, evolved by the authors of this web site, has a 100% success rate, not only for cold sores but also for boils, minor itching at under arms, between the thighs, anus, mosquito bites, etc. You can keep this bottle for years.
# Apply Witch Hazel on sores.
# Press or rub an ice cube on the cold sore for a few minutes every ten minutes for an hour. This will lessen the size of the sore preventing the movement of the virus.
# Moisten your index finger and press it on powdered common salt, and then onto the sores for 30 seconds. Do it twice a day for 2-3 days.
# Take four acidophilus capsules three or four times a day with milk.
# Rub aloe juice or aloe gel on cold sores.
# Apply a cornstarch paste.
# Lemon balm extract may reduce cold sore symptoms and speed up the healing.
# Apply spirit of camphor on the sore.
# Herbal Sage, Tea Tree Oil and the herbal sedative Violet have been used as treatments for cold sores. Make a tea by adding two or three Sage leaves and a small ginger root piece or ginger powder to a cup of boiling water and steep. Drink 2-3 cups a day.
post #9 of 20
carmex allllllll the way!!!! it's cheap and it ALWAYS works for me when i feel one coming.
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
You people are all so helpful! So many remedies, I don't know which to try.

Btw, is a sore supposed to resemble a zit at all? (I don't wanna look at pictures ) It hurts when I open my mouth wide or when I apply pressure to it. It's not a horribly huge bump either, I think it stopped developing because I iced it (according to casey's info up there?^)
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecks_oh View Post
You people are all so helpful! So many remedies, I don't know which to try.

Btw, is a sore supposed to resemble a zit at all? (I don't wanna look at pictures ) It hurts when I open my mouth wide or when I apply pressure to it. It's not a horribly huge bump either, I think it stopped developing because I iced it (according to casey's info up there?^)
it's supposed to get all red, feel hot, and eventually ooze (gross, i know), crust up, and then fall off. i would reeeallllyyy recommend carmex, it's specifically made for cold sores, but it can also be used as lip balm regularly; so i say go for this one if you're gonna be purchasing a remedy since it's probably the cheapest (~$1.50).
post #12 of 20
wow, Casey, where did you get all those remedies at?

i have had cold sores for my entire life. They starting being way more frequent when i hit 21...and i also started getting them other places on my face, besides my lip. THey hurt like heck, Whatever you do, know that they are very contagious and spread like weeds if you touch it and then touch another part of your skin. make sure you wash your hands immediately after touching it with the medicine you buy.
I have been on prescription pills in the past, just to prevent them, as i was getting them on a monthly basis.
I too have used Abreva, and think it works pretty well for being OTC.

I have also heard that the aluminum in a can of soda can stimulate a cold sore. I always poor mine into a glass.
Lysine is supposed to help prevent them as well.
I get them when i have a really bad cold or sinus infection, and when i am stressed.
post #13 of 20
See if you can get a script for Zovirax. When ever I even feel a tingle in my lips where I usually get a sore I apply it. Haven't had a sore in well over a year now. I find keeping my lips constantly moisturized with a good lip balm with spf 15 has worked well for me too. I carry a stick or two with me at all times.

I've read calcium sups can help prevent break outs.

Also there is the study that the amino acid arginine aids the growth and reproduction of the herpes virus, while lysine inhibits it.

Foods high in argine (so consider reducing these)
chocolate, peanuts and other nuts, grains, peas, seeds, oatmeal and whole-wheat

Foods high in lysine ( eat more of these)
Fish, chicken, beef, lamb, milk, cheese, beans, brewer's yeast, mung bean sprouts and most fruits and vegetables

You can also supplement L-lysine.
"The amount of lysine required to control herpes varied from case to case but a typical dose to maintain remission was 500 mg daily and active herpes required 1 to 6 g between meals to induce healing."
(Herpes Treatment)
post #14 of 20
Yeah- get a prescription for Zovirax or similar. Next time, take one the moment you feel a cold sore coming on. It definately will help keep it under control.

I also use Abreva and Lysine ointments if I do break out. Haven't had one in over 1 1/2 years though, knock wood. I do get them when my body is under extreme stress or if I get a terrible cold/flu.
post #15 of 20
You could also try Blistex Medicated (blue one)...seems like we all have our own methods Whatever you do don't touch it and try and don't open your mouth too wide cause it hurts!!!
post #16 of 20
Cold sores are caused by Herpes simplex virus 1 or hsv-1. Since it's viral, it just means you show symptoms when your immune system is down. Since anger, anxiety, and depression all compromise your immune system, that's probably why you had a break out. You'll probably break out 3-4 days after (incubation period) you feel a large amount of stress.

The best thing to do is to leave it alone and not touch it (you could spread it or just aggravate it more).
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizlikeshugs View Post
Cold sores are caused by Herpes simplex virus 1 or hsv-1. Since it's viral, it just means you show symptoms when your immune system is down. Since anger, anxiety, and depression all compromise your immune system, that's probably why you had a break out. You'll probably break out 3-4 days after (incubation period) you feel a large amount of stress.

The best thing to do is to leave it alone and not touch it (you could spread it or just aggravate it more).
eek that makes since, i remember getting them a lot last year when i worked alot on top of school. I think everyone has given good advice so far, best to get them treated the instant you feel them coming on.
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey60622 View Post
Here is a bunch of home remedies for cold sores:

# Apply ice for five to ten minutes each hour at the start of the cold sores. This will prevent their further development.
# Apply a tea bag for five to ten minutes each hour at the start of the cold sores. The tannic acid in the tea has antiviral properties. This will prevent their further development.
# Press a warm tea bag on the cold sore for 20-30 minutes. Within five days the sores will disappear.
# Avoid acidic or salty foods.
# Foods high in arginine such as those containing chocolate, peanuts and other nuts, grains, peas, seeds, oatmeal and whole-wheat products should be reduced from the diet.
# Reduce intake of coffee.
# Taking B complex supplements with B12 vitamin and folic acid is helpful.
# Make the following formula and store it in a bottle.
Coconut oil : 100 ml, Dettol : 2 ml, and Carbolic acid: 3 ml (available from chemical shops)

Apply it on cold sores once or twice. This formula, evolved by the authors of this web site, has a 100% success rate, not only for cold sores but also for boils, minor itching at under arms, between the thighs, anus, mosquito bites, etc. You can keep this bottle for years.
# Apply Witch Hazel on sores.
# Press or rub an ice cube on the cold sore for a few minutes every ten minutes for an hour. This will lessen the size of the sore preventing the movement of the virus.
# Moisten your index finger and press it on powdered common salt, and then onto the sores for 30 seconds. Do it twice a day for 2-3 days.
# Take four acidophilus capsules three or four times a day with milk.
# Rub aloe juice or aloe gel on cold sores.
# Apply a cornstarch paste.
# Lemon balm extract may reduce cold sore symptoms and speed up the healing.
# Apply spirit of camphor on the sore.
# Herbal Sage, Tea Tree Oil and the herbal sedative Violet have been used as treatments for cold sores. Make a tea by adding two or three Sage leaves and a small ginger root piece or ginger powder to a cup of boiling water and steep. Drink 2-3 cups a day.
casey! THAT'S AWESOME! My mom gets them really bad, and she hates them #1 bc they get super big, and #2 medication is so expensive.

Thank you so much for sharing hun.
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSPOOKIE View Post
casey! THAT'S AWESOME! My mom gets them really bad, and she hates them #1 bc they get super big, and #2 medication is so expensive.

Thank you so much for sharing hun.
Glad it was helpful. I found that list just goggling "Cold sores home remedy."

Not to be truly disgusting, but I recomend a similar goggle search for anyone troubled by the occasional yeast infection.
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey60622 View Post
Glad it was helpful. I found that list just goggling "Cold sores home remedy."

Not to be truly disgusting, but I recomend a similar goggle search for anyone troubled by the occasional yeast infection.
I hear ya sister...actually, I've never had one but I'll keep that in mind for future ref! lol

Gotta love google!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ladies Lounge