or Connect
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › Chat › Is the Seven era over?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is the Seven era over? - Page 3

post #51 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by aipume
what study is that? just seems like an interesting read.


unscientifically speaking, i can tell a little (or atleast i THINK i can) based on what you wear. an extreme case, obviously some bum on the street dressed in tattered clothes isnt someone you're gonna have a conversation with about Donno Karan's recent 2005 fall collection.

based on just wearing Sevens jeans though its gonna be hard to really come up with anything. i mean is the A pocket girls the cuties and the Havanas the girls with good grinding skills?
its Donna Karen my bad =P typed too fast.

this forum is naturally a little more leaned towards denim lovers rather than urban-whatthefuck-tanites though so thats partly why theres a higher level of loyalty to particular brands individuals are fond of.
post #52 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by aipume
its Donna Karen my bad =P typed too fast.
actually, it's "Karan"
post #53 of 151
Jetsetter,

May I ask you your reasons for wearing Diesel, TR, and any other designer/luxury label?

I wear what I want because I like it. Yes, if we wore what was comfortable, we'd be in sweats all the time. I'm in school, I LIVE in sweats. There are however, times when I just can't wear sweats. So I choose the next most comfortable thing, jeans. So yes, I wear them because they are COMFORTBALE. They aren't a security blanket for me to fell secure in because I'm wearing 7fam, COH, Joe's, James, TR, etc. I am secure enough in myself to wear whatever I want. I don't stick exclusively to one brand, so does that mean that some days I'm in "whore" mode and then the next I'm in "classy, elegant" mode? I don't think so. It's how everything comes together, the jeans don't make the outfit in the case of 7fam.

Maybe just maybe that 7fam isn't as prevelant in NYC (I don't know if that is the case, I'm just repeating what you said) is because of the sudden swell of designer label jeans coming out and people are buying various brands. That does not mean that 7fam is losing popularity. IMO, they are still holding their own in the realm of designer/luxury jeans even amongst the outpouring of new up and coming labels. It does not mean that they are losing their popularity, people are just buying various brands because there is such a large selection from which to choose now. I have schooped up some other labels not because I don't like 7fam or think that they are "out" but because I liked the style of the others as well... Regardless, I don't care if they are "out", I like them and I'll keep wearing them.
post #54 of 151
Jetsetter - I might agree with you if your basic premise is that you can tell a lot about somebody's personality from what they wear.

But you used the term character which to me is an entirely different thing. Character refers to a moral compass, an ability to know right from wrong and to live life with a certain dignity. It encompasses perserverance, honesty, a work ethic, charity, tolerance, etc., etc. All those things make up someones character, and I don't think you can tell any of them based on the clothing they wear.

Personality, well that might be true. If someone is introverted/extroverted, funny/serious, organized/scatterbrained, regimental/carefree. well then yes, I suppose how they dress might give us a clue about their personality. I do know there have been studies about the types of cars people drive. Colors, transmissions, power, comfort, size, these all can be reflections of personalities. People that drive red sports cars convertibles do tend to be outgoing and somewhat fun-spirited.

So I am sure that the type of clothes somebody wears can give us some nuance of how they might act. But I don't think you can take that down to the brand level. You can't say a 7FAM customer is significantly different from the COH customer or the Blue Cult customer. They all are basically form-fitting, low-rise, blasted thighs, slightly flared denim jeans. The look itself is probably on the downside of it's popularity curve. This is fashion, after all, popularity curves exist for everything. So I guess you could say that the era of this type of denim and look might be coming to a close. I would agree with you there.

When the question was posed, is the 7FAM era over?, I looked at it from a business perspective. If there was one brand of the 00s that I would be betting on to make it big in the industry, it's 7FAM. 80% of all the other brands we are discussing on this board will probably not be around in 2015.

7FAM will probably be one of the brands that establishes itself as a powerhouse in the 00s, like Armani/Tommy in the 90s and RL/CK in the 80s. Say what you want about their style or fashion; as businesses, they are the cream of the crop in the industry.

7FAM has the first-mover advantage, they have by far the most recognizable brand name in their niche, and they have a powerhouse capital team bankrolling the entire effort from this point on. So I don't think 7FAM is over by any stretch. They are most likely here to stay.
post #55 of 151
I think 7fam jeans look great on women...very sexy. Those jeans especially look really great on my bedroom floor....but on a serious note, I say, women....wear what you want...If it looks good, feels comfortable, and fits your body, then by all means wear it.
post #56 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by style_assassin
I think 7fam jeans look great on women...very sexy. Those jeans especially look really great on my bedroom floor....but on a serious note, I say, women....wear what you want...If it looks good, feels comfortable, and fits your body, then by all means wear it.
Which is why I remain an ardent proponent of nudism for hot women.
post #57 of 151
c'mon if Seven wasn't catapulted into fame by celebrities, none of the girls on this board would've heard of them. like i said a long time ago, seven is an upscale A+F it seems. flashy noticeable back pocket stitching. im also sticking by the fact that its not a comfort issue. if it was you'd be wearing baggy jeans with a bit of elastane in them. i love how all the girls on this forum claim to look good in them. while im sure they do, i doubt there's no other jean that fits the exact same. gotta have that pocket squiggly!
post #58 of 151
Again, Jetsetter...for which reasons do you wear luxury/designer labels?
post #59 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriebell
Again, Jetsetter...for which reasons do you wear luxury/designer labels?
Jetsetter doesn't answer your questions to him...

Sevens are still very prevalent in NYC.

And I never even saw them on celebrities until I started looking for them. I first saw sevens and fell in love bc my friend who works in a boutique showed them to me.

Also--abercrombies designs are, in my opinion, no way comparable to the ones that seven has. I find a lot of abercrombies pocket designs boring...just IMO.
post #60 of 151
Also--abercrombies designs are, in my opinion, no way comparable to the ones that seven has. I find a lot of abercrombies pocket designs boring...just IMO.[/quote]

i'm not quite sure...but I think 7 started this whole back pocket frenzy...before 7fam I never really looked at the back pocket design of jeans peeps are wearing....now its like...hmmm....I wonder what he/she is wearing? 7fam, COH....it is what it is....a recent trend....whether or not it will be a long standing staple of fashion....well, that's up to the buying power of women.
post #61 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriebell
Again, Jetsetter...for which reasons do you wear luxury/designer labels?
becuase i like them, not cos they're flashy.
post #62 of 151
seven is so the designer equivalent to A+F whether you guys care to believe that or not. both are shown off in the worst ways and both have these nonsensical cult followings. how bout buying some antiks or 575 or just something that's not so terrible overdone? even if you think they're the most comfortable things in the world, somewhere down the road, sevens are gonna look more and more ridiculous as better brands start to arrive. obviously people aren't buying them anymore since theyre now selling to costco. and what kind of proof do you have that sevens are still prevalent in new york?
post #63 of 151
Ok well I wear 7fam and other "labels" because I like them. I can respect YOU and your opinion and decision to wear what you want, you doing the same to other forum members would be greatly appreciated.

And why don't I wear Antiks etc? I don't like them. Plain and simple. I think they are quite ugly (no offense to any Antik lovers here) and just ridiculous. Talk about flashy - ha. Also I never said that 7fam is still prevalent in NYC, in fact I said the opposite using you're own argument.

Quote:
... somewhere down the road, sevens are gonna look more and more ridiculous as better brands start to arrive
So what constitutes "better?" Something you like?
post #64 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetter
seven is so the designer equivalent to A+F whether you guys care to believe that or not. both are shown off in the worst ways and both have these nonsensical cult followings. how bout buying some antiks or 575 or just something that's not so terrible overdone? even if you think they're the most comfortable things in the world, somewhere down the road, sevens are gonna look more and more ridiculous as better brands start to arrive. obviously people aren't buying them anymore since theyre now selling to costco. and what kind of proof do you have that sevens are still prevalent in new york?
-I was just in NYC... saw MANY MANY MANY people walking down the streets in Sevens...thats why I say "prevalent".

-By the way, I do like 575 a lot and was thinking of purchasing a pair just today in a local store

-Seven will keep coming out with new styles "as better brands start to arrive" ...but there will always be your basic flare/bootcut that ppl will be wearing too.

-Your comment that "obviuosly ppl aren't buying anymore bc they're selling to costco" doesnt make sense bc Costco probably easily gets overstocks from dept. stores, etc. You don't know that Seven is directly selling to them and I would highly doubt that they are or Costco would have an array of styles and selection (also there website has no 7fam?) -I dont think that's representative of ppl's buying habits.

Well Im just going to drop this thread bc its going to keep going back and forth b/w ppl who like sevens and ppl who don't! It's all just opinion and no ones gonna change anyone else's. I shouldn't have even gotten myself started but had to jump in when I heard that ppl these days were judging others (women) as sluts/whores bc they wear certain labels that they dislike.

Im done.
post #65 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hil357

Im done.
ditto.
post #66 of 151
seven for all mankind flashy?

so wait.. antiks back pockets are less flashy than sevens?

hmmm.. guess you learn something everyday.
post #67 of 151
i was making a point as to the fact that there are other 'sexy' jeans out there besides the overdone sevens.
post #68 of 151
who cares? honestly who cares? Yeah, they are out of style and the fashionistas know it, but I ask again, Who cares?
post #69 of 151
interesting.... yea, it's nice that there's a lot of different types of jeans to choose from. It's just, half of them are too trendy for me.

the only reason i pointed out what you said before was because the reason i wear sevens is because they are low key (the bootcut and flares, that is). you see, i'm not a big fan of super huge rips here and there or super funky back pockets. and that's also the reason why i don't understand how such jeans could ever be seen as ridiculous... they are too simple for that.

I guess, the people in your area must have killed it for you. In that case i understand where you're coming from. you are probably to the point where you are like "OMG if i see one more A-pocket i'm going to shoot myself". I feel bad for you, having so much animosity toward a jean brand and all. if you hate sevens so much.. just don't look at anyone's ass, and you won't notice the difference (90% of the time).
post #70 of 151
I think the western this-and-that trend will die out sooner. I would never buy TRs or western style shirts.
post #71 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hil357
-I was just in NYC... saw MANY MANY MANY people walking down the streets in Sevens...thats why I say "prevalent".
And you didnt call me up!? For shame! She's right that sevens are still extremely popular, even amongst all of these high-end brands' desired market segment - upper east side rich ladies. I think the reason people are thinking that sevens are 'over' is that the most fashionista types have moved on already. Of course these are probably the same people who refuse to wear diesel on some kind of principle, so I can't necessarily say that I respect their opinion per se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hil357
-By the way, I do like 575 a lot and was thinking of purchasing a pair just today in a local store
Check out true blue as well. Thats a new brand which is really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hil357
-Seven will keep coming out with new styles "as better brands start to arrive" ...but there will always be your basic flare/bootcut that ppl will be wearing too.
Yup, this premium denim market is so large and growing so fast, these companies are going to have to change with the time or competition will eat them alive. Look at diesel doing things like massively cutting distribution & raising prices 25-30% and TR considering starting a lower-cost sister brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hil357
-Your comment that "obviuosly ppl aren't buying anymore bc they're selling to costco" doesnt make sense bc Costco probably easily gets overstocks from dept. stores, etc. You don't know that Seven is directly selling to them and I would highly doubt that they are or Costco would have an array of styles and selection (also there website has no 7fam?) -I dont think that's representative of ppl's buying habits.
Agree with Hil. You could make a similar argument that people wont buy sevens because they're available at eg: filenes basement, tj maxx, etc and NONE of those places are buying them from sevens, they're buying overstock and shit which didnt sell and was passed over by higher-end stores. If what you say about costco were true, nobody would buy ANY of those brands because I've seen just about everything at Filene's basement at one time or another. Just recently I saw some Earnest Sewns there for $70. And yet those continue to sell like heroin-laced hotcakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hil357
Well Im just going to drop this thread bc its going to keep going back and forth b/w ppl who like sevens and ppl who don't! It's all just opinion and no ones gonna change anyone else's. I shouldn't have even gotten myself started but had to jump in when I heard that ppl these days were judging others (women) as sluts/whores bc they wear certain labels that they dislike.
I _love_ to wear brands that I hate, by the way. Makes me feel dirty LOL
post #72 of 151
Quote:
obviously people aren't buying them anymore since theyre now selling to costco
Ever hear of Yogi Berra? He was famous for making up statements that seemed, at face value, to be utterly contradictory. I would classify your statement as a Yogism. He had one that was almost exactly the same: "Nobody goes there anymore; it's way too crowded."

What you are probably trying to imply, is that the glitterati and the fashionistas aren't buying this brand anymore. You may be right. But that is such a minor issue relating to the viability of the brand. If 7FAM are being sold at Costco, it is because their brand recognition is MUCH, MUCH higher than any other premium denim. And if you are the owner of 7FAM, that is a very good thing.

Still, I doubt that 7FAM has a brand awareness that exceeds 15% of the US population. Their core demographic is the 20-30 female, and even here they still probably haven't broken through the 50% brand awareness level. They are just beginning to penetrate the mens market, and they haven't even touched anything else. So they can grow much more. And they will. As I said, I would bet cold hard cash that 7FAM will be around in 10 years, probably expanded well beyond denim. Maybe not, but the brand definitely has that potentional.
post #73 of 151
what i meant was that perhaps department stores aren't selling them as much so they need a new outlet. theyre ruining their exclusivity by doing that imo thus further ruining the brand image. i wouldn't compare marshalls and filene's basement to costco though. two different places. costco is a wholesaler that sells current products at discount prices whereas filenes and them buy overstock that they somehow stumbled across most of it being stuff that's more or less 'expired' even if it is designer jeans. you're certainly not gonna find TR destroyed or something like that.

and in response to what flipnotic said about the western trend dying out. quite the contrary of that is true. western is becoming much bigger now. look at brands like TR and Antik and Earl with all their western themes. your statement was a little past due. the western trend did die out for a short time but it appears to be coming back. im quite neutral towards the look, i dont really care about it either way but the statement is simply false what with all the new western themed designer apparel showing up. i'd call it 'new western'. we're not necessarily talking about lame old cowboy shirts as much as we are about more sophisticated western styles.
post #74 of 151
i have to agree with jetsetter here. you can read any major fashion magazine and Western inspired clothing (not only jeans) is really in right now and alot of designers are putting their "take" of it into their design...even Diesel.

and yes its "neo western" or you can call it whatever but its back and in new context. thats what fashion has always been about though...putting old things in new context. occasionally you have legitimate NEW inventions like Chanel in the 1950s or 1960s (sp?) creating the women's jacket which was something utterly new, but aside from those instances, its all copy and paste into the present.

as for fashion, im never a believer in the "i buy this clothing article cause i think it can last me 10 years etc."...depending on how much you care about style (and thus fashion...read my earlier post), that mentality is just utterly irrelevant, because fashion goes on and off...obselete and reborn, so I never think about how long it will last. if i like it, it fits my personality (my style), then i buy it. later on i can sell it on ebay or something if i wanted, get some money back, and get new stuff later that i like.
post #75 of 151
I never said western isn't in right now. It's so "in" right now that even brands like old navy are jumping in on the bandwagon, and that's one of the reasons it's going to die out sooner rather than later.

If there's any indication in the past on what goes out of style sooner, it's the brands that are either oversaturated or way too out of the ordinary (think trucker), and western themed clothing falls in that category in BOTH respects.

Jet calls sevens flashy but seems to have an affinity for western influenced fashion (antik, TR). I can spot antiks and TRs from a mile away, and I'm not exaggerating at all. I wouldn't be able to do the same thing with Sevens.

I agree 100% with shuffles that Sevens are low key and yet fashionable. Sevens will never go away because they represent something that's trendy yet presented in a neat little package that's subtle.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chat
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › Chat › Is the Seven era over?