or Connect
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › Chat › Snowboarding Question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Snowboarding Question

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
About a month ago, I went to Mammoth(, CA) on my first snowboarding trip. I enjoyed so much, I started buying some gear so that I could go during spring break. However, I'm not sure what kind of board and bindings to get. Also, how would one measure what size board to get? (The one I borrowed for my trip was just under my nose..) Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
post #2 of 27
just go into REI, the people there are uber friendly and by now they usually have like clearence sales on all their stuff
post #3 of 27
keep in mind that you'll go faster on a long board and you'll have more control on a short board. generally the length of your board will be between your chin and bottom tip of your nose.

btw: i LOVE burton everything...they have great quality stuff...

hope this helps! =]
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebjlee

btw: i LOVE burton everything...they have great quality stuff...

=]
ditto
post #5 of 27
oh btw...about the whole goofy/regular footed thing...
people will try to tell you to do whatever feels most natural...don't believe them! =]

your back foot should be your strong foot (whichever foot you kick a ball with)...b/c when you get better--that's the foot that will be controlling your board...then when you get super good...you can learn the opposite and start doing 180's on the jumps Hahah

my gear: Burton 2002 custom board and custom bindings...(probably time for me to get new stuff...)
post #6 of 27
ummmmmm ya i disagree with rebjlee, just learn to ride with ur strong foot forward... ive never heard it the other way and eventually you will be able to start riding switch. What are you looking for board wise, i just bought myself a Rome and it is amazing. Are you planning on going alot? What kind of terrain do you ride? what price range? how tall are you? hopefully with that info i can help you find something good
post #7 of 27

Re: Snowboarding Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by buhlree
About a month ago, I went to Mammoth(, CA) on my first snowboarding trip. I enjoyed so much, I started buying some gear so that I could go during spring break. However, I'm not sure what kind of board and bindings to get. Also, how would one measure what size board to get? (The one I borrowed for my trip was just under my nose..) Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
i'm jealous you got to experience Mammoth. my plans for Mammoth last weekend were scratched due to the crazy storm that left my friends and i stranded at 3am on highway 88.

sorry i can't help much with what kind of board and bindings you should get because i just started snowboarding this season. all the gear i bought was under my bf's advice. the only thing i know is that your board should be between your shoulders and nose. since it's almost the end of the season, a lot of the winter sports stores are having sales so you should be able to get most of your gear for cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8erstudpg

ummmmmm ya i disagree with rebjlee, just learn to ride with ur strong foot forward... ive never heard it the other way and eventually you will be able to start riding switch. What are you looking for board wise, i just bought myself a Rome and it is amazing. Are you planning on going alot? What kind of terrain do you ride? what price range? how tall are you? hopefully with that info i can help you find something good
i agree. i started out as regular, but couldn't even get down the bunny slopes without falling a million times. then i changed to goofie and boy, did that make a difference. i was able to go down the intermediate slopes with only 3 falls. even got around to carving, too.
post #8 of 27

Re: Snowboarding Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by buhlree
About a month ago, I went to Mammoth(, CA) on my first snowboarding trip. I enjoyed so much, I started buying some gear so that I could go during spring break. However, I'm not sure what kind of board and bindings to get. Also, how would one measure what size board to get? (The one I borrowed for my trip was just under my nose..) Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

the boards suppose to reach you chin....but yea...if you go to a shop, i'm sure someone will help you figure all that stuff out. isn't snowboarding the best?
post #9 of 27
i still stand by what i said before. once you start carving (that is if you haven't already =]) you'll see what I'm talking about...your back foot will be controlling whether you go toe or heel side.

anyways, it really doesnt matter...cuz you'll be super good in the end either way you do it... welcome to the world of snowboarding!

btw: if you don't mind waiting until Nov to buy gear...you must hit http://www.skidazzle.com/! Huge snowboarding convention with fantastic prices! there's also a smaller one where I bought my gear way back when...they have good stuff too..might be worth it to keep an eye out for. It's called Fresh Tracks Snow & Skate Expo.
post #10 of 27
o yeaa...also about the goofy and regular stuff...IMO whichever foot you step out with first when you do a cartweel deteremines what you are..that's what my friend told me
post #11 of 27
how long have you guys been snowboarding for?? i've only been snowboarding for 3 years
post #12 of 27
I've been skiing since I was a kid...and snowboarding for about 8 years now...I won't stop till I'm 80! haha
post #13 of 27
i never really liked burton... i always thought of them as being the Nike of snowboarding and overpriced. I have a Santacruz Board and a Lib Tech and have been v. happy with both. Also since you are a beginner i recommend flow bindings... they feel great, give lots of control and stability and are a cinch to get in and out of. Theyre a little on the heavy/bulky side but that doesnt really matter at this point. good luck finding new gear! i LOVE to hear people say that theyve fallen in love with snowboarding, especially after their first time =)
i'm ALWAYS trying to convince skiers on the lifts to switch to boarding =D
post #14 of 27
my favorite brand for boards is FORUM and of course i love burton too

maann i really want a new board i have a crappy rossignol right now. o well i guess i dont really care....i just wanna ride
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by joce08
i LOVE to hear people say that theyve fallen in love with snowboarding, especially after their first time =)
i'm ALWAYS trying to convince skiers on the lifts to switch to boarding =D
i fell in love with it after this weekend, which was my 3rd time.
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebjlee
oh btw...about the whole goofy/regular footed thing...
people will try to tell you to do whatever feels most natural...don't believe them! =]

your back foot should be your strong foot (whichever foot you kick a ball with)...b/c when you get better--that's the foot that will be controlling your board...then when you get super good...you can learn the opposite and start doing 180's on the jumps Hahah

my gear: Burton 2002 custom board and custom bindings...(probably time for me to get new stuff...)
ditto. your back foot controls your board while carving. you can learn switch down the road, but i'd recommend to start off with your strong foot in the back.
post #17 of 27
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the help, guys! I got lots of stuff on sale this weekend..

Burton Feather snowboard $280
Burton Custom bindings $70
Burton gloves $30
Burton Lumberjackette jacket $50

=]
post #18 of 27
sweet congrats, watever you do... dont give up, at the beginning snowboarding is the worst thing imaginable then after a few days you will quickly realize why it is such a quickly growing and fun sport! enjoy your new stuff
post #19 of 27
My friend told me to a another way to determine whether you are goofy or regular is to have someone push you from behind (without you knowing), and whichever foot you step out with first would be the foot in front. So if your right foot steps out first, you should go with goofy.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrocks
My friend told me to a another way to determine whether you are goofy or regular is to have someone push you from behind (without you knowing), and whichever foot you step out with first would be the foot in front. So if your right foot steps out first, you should go with goofy.

duuudee really? i heard the exact same thing but if your right foot steps out first, your regular....that's how i determined if i was goofy or regular. maybe i am goofy then....
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterduck510
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebjlee
oh btw...about the whole goofy/regular footed thing...
people will try to tell you to do whatever feels most natural...don't believe them! =]

your back foot should be your strong foot (whichever foot you kick a ball with)...b/c when you get better--that's the foot that will be controlling your board...then when you get super good...you can learn the opposite and start doing 180's on the jumps Hahah

my gear: Burton 2002 custom board and custom bindings...(probably time for me to get new stuff...)
ditto. your back foot controls your board while carving. you can learn switch down the road, but i'd recommend to start off with your strong foot in the back.
I'm going to agree with you both. My right foot is my strong foot and when I first started snowboarding my binding setups were goofy as that was the advise I got from a few experts. I had a horrible time the first few runs...I kept unintentionally riding fakey with my left foot forward and having very little control. I switched my bindings to regular and its been smooth sailing since. I still however suck at snowboarding as I've only started mid-way through last season. I've only recently learned how to connect my C turns and still fall quite a bit but no pain no gain and I love it.
post #22 of 27
yay, congrats on getting your gear! the burton feather line is super cute .

btw: the whole pushing from behind thing is SUPPOSED to be a way to determine your strong foot too...but it doesnt seem to work everytime (i couldnt figure it out that way). you might also hear the "run really fast and slide across hardwood floors thing" hahaha...lots of tricks...in the end it really won't matter too much. whichever way you practice will feel good in the end =].
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Thanks for the help, guys! I got lots of stuff on sale this weekend..

Burton Feather snowboard $280
Burton Custom bindings $70
Burton gloves $30
Burton Lumberjackette jacket $50

Good deals. You'll love the feather board. Be sure to watch ebay now too. With the season ending, there's bound to be pretty cheap deals...just watch out for too many scratches.

Congrats!!
post #24 of 27
i really want to get some of those FLOW bindings.

so pimp.
post #25 of 27
I've never been snowboarding before but I want to so bad. Maybe next winter I'll tag along with some friends and see what it's like. Is off season the best time to buy equipment?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chat
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › Chat › Snowboarding Question