or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

first car - Page 3

post #51 of 134
I'm wondering why you're limiting yourself to these choices. And I agree with strawberryshortcake that you should probably consult with your brother since he'll be inheriting your drive-me-down.

Also, vintagelace, Lexus does still make A coupe, it's the SC430 - the hardtop convertible that makes my heart beat so fast...but you're probably referring to the SC300/400 (which is also a sexy machine, was thinking of switching my IS300 in for a used SC, but my parents aren't too exactly into pre-owned vehicles either).

If you're so young, usually good to start on a used vehicle...but in your circumstance, let me ask you, how many young people do you see driving a Camry that doesn't belong to their parents (not that there's anything wrong with that...). And based on your choices, I find it fairly hard to see what it is that you're looking for. However, to answer your question, I would pick the Mazda6, just because I fell for the look (when it was first introduced in Japan).

Some others you may consider in that price range:
Mini Cooper
Toyota Echo (although I must say, the Hatchback is much cuter)
Toyota Yaris (replacing the above said Hatchback)
Toyota Corolla
Acura CSX
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Mitsubishi Lancer
Scion
Nissan Sentra
Pontiac Solstice
Volkswagen Golf

There are lots more that I have left out, mostly domestics as I am not too into them. Also you mentioned the Civic Hybrid and Prius, have you looked into the Honda Insight?

But anyway, good luck to you. And show us pictures later on!
post #52 of 134
Whoops, guess it took me a while to type that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablueness
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeoonguy
looks like all the asians are voting for the civic, .
hahaha, i like the subtle implying of the stereotype. Anyways, i own a toyota solara, LOVE MY CAR!, great handling, mileage...i have a 2000. But, the newer models are a little super expensive..like ($30000) <---- well, i've seen some running for that much.
But anyways, get a MINI!! I don't know much about them but my bf wants one :P .
Well, commenting on joeoonguy's comment, i DID use to want a civic! hehehe, and i AM asian! So whoop-dee-do. Yeah, agreeing with those prior comments..But hey, if you're on a budget, get what suits your needs first because you'll have plenty of oppertunities in the future to get that dream baby . Well, good luck.
Oh, I love the Solara too! But too into the new generation though...and the convertible is a beauty (I have a soft spot for cabs). And they aren't too common of a car around here, so that's good. I wouldn't want to walk into a mall parking lot and not knowing which black Civic coupe is mine
post #53 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by _inwonderland
Oh, I love the Solara too! But too into the new generation though...and the convertible is a beauty (I have a soft spot for cabs). And they aren't too common of a car around here, so that's good. I wouldn't want to walk into a mall parking lot and not knowing which black Civic coupe is mine
What I meant to say was, "But not too into the new gen"
post #54 of 134
wats an acura csx? canadian market only?
post #55 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisislayzie
wats an acura csx? canadian market only?
Oh yeah, sorry, totally forgot that some of the cars on the list may only be available in Canada...but I think only the CSX and Echo Hatchback/Yaris.

It's pretty much a Civic Sedan, but I guess more "premium" because of the Acura label. And just minor cosmetic differences.
post #56 of 134
i just bought a prius! It was totally worth the wait and I absolutely love it I drove it almost 1500 miles and it only took two and 1/2 tanks!
post #57 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
what about the vw golf?
that was my first, second, third and fifth car
post #58 of 134
Vintagelace> You're going to use this new car when you get the baby as well won't you?

It seems like some of the suggestions you get are based upon performance and looks rather than safety, being able to load and unload the perambulator with ease, not to mention having the space for it at all.

A friend of mine had to take off all the wheels of her perambulator every time she loaded it into her Volvo S80. What a pain.

I can't really help with the cars since I know nothing about them, but it may be wise to measure the trunk so you'll know that everything wil fit.
post #59 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirie
Vintagelace> You're going to use this new car when you get the baby as well won't you?
Unless she's going to have a baby within the next year...then probably no.
post #60 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by _inwonderland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirie
Vintagelace> You're going to use this new car when you get the baby as well won't you?
Unless she's going to have a baby within the next year...then probably no.
It would be rather silly of me to write that unless she was pregnant right?
post #61 of 134
I've got a 2000 Honda Civic EX and LOVE it! Great on gas!

post #62 of 134
My bad. For some reason I mix up 'vintagelace' and 'onlyafacade'. At least they have the same amount of letters in them.
post #63 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelace
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchy
what's your budget?
I suppose under $20,000 since I'll probably will only be driving this car for a year or so, and then the car will go to my brother when I go to college.

Quote:
The fact that this is your first car, have you considered getting a used car instead (unless this is a gift)...
Yea it is sort of a gift. My parents don't want me to drive a used car for some reason.

I'm also looking into the Civic hybrid...originally wanted the Prius, but there's a waiting list and they just increased the price b/c of high demand. If money weren't an issue I'd get the new Lexus GS300 model or Lexus coupe, which I don't even think they make anymore.
buy the civic si. 19,900+500 dest. + tax.

it's without a doubt the best choice.


why buy just an okay american car when you can buy a monster of a japanese car that'll last through the ages?

The Civic SI is not a bad specimen. I doubt you can acquire the
vehicle at less than $20,000. The best you can probably do at minimum
$24,500 plus or minus including all applicable
charges and fees. Don't forget to also factor in insurance and gas, and etc,
which may bring the price tag to a strong $27,000 plus or minus.

Carsdirect.com (based on my zip code)
http://www.carsdirect.com/build/opti...estore= false

Yahooauto.com
http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/model...mo delId=4737
what? the markup isn't 5 grand over msrp. are you crazy? the demand may be high - but go in and ask for msrp. chances are, it'll be about 22 out the door after taxes.
post #64 of 134
civic civic civic, they are safe, realiable and last forever. I have nothing but bad luck with mazdas! civics are simple and affordable and great for your first car.....or second....or third! do it do it
post #65 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimek44
civic civic civic, they are safe, realiable and last forever. I have nothing but bad luck with mazdas! civics are simple and affordable and great for your first car.....or second....or third! do it do it
the civic si would be better than just great for your first car.
post #66 of 134
Of the choices you listed I would go for the civic. But if you are open to other choices... what about the Nissan Altima. I don't know pricing right now, but I can't imagine it being too far off from the Camry and much nicer looking! I have a 2002 Altima that I bought new for $18.5K and I LOVE IT. Even I wanted to by a new car now... I would just buy another one. The new ones are really hot. I can't say enough good things about them.
post #67 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelace
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchy
what's your budget?
I suppose under $20,000 since I'll probably will only be driving this car for a year or so, and then the car will go to my brother when I go to college.

Quote:
The fact that this is your first car, have you considered getting a used car instead (unless this is a gift)...
Yea it is sort of a gift. My parents don't want me to drive a used car for some reason.

I'm also looking into the Civic hybrid...originally wanted the Prius, but there's a waiting list and they just increased the price b/c of high demand. If money weren't an issue I'd get the new Lexus GS300 model or Lexus coupe, which I don't even think they make anymore.
buy the civic si. 19,900+500 dest. + tax.

it's without a doubt the best choice.


why buy just an okay american car when you can buy a monster of a japanese car that'll last through the ages?

The Civic SI is not a bad specimen. I doubt you can acquire the
vehicle at less than $20,000. The best you can probably do at minimum
$24,500 plus or minus including all applicable
charges and fees. Don't forget to also factor in insurance and gas, and etc,
which may bring the price tag to a strong $27,000 plus or minus.

Carsdirect.com (based on my zip code)
http://www.carsdirect.com/build/opti...estore= false

Yahooauto.com
http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/model...mo delId=4737
what? the markup isn't 5 grand over msrp. are you crazy? the demand may be high - but go in and ask for msrp. chances are, it'll be about 22 out the door after taxes.
Not exactly crazy , but I believe that anytime a 'major' purchase will take place, you have to increase the final dollar value on the price tag just to be safe. And that's why it was a "plus or minus" thing. But more importantly, tax on a vehicle is usually 10%. Based on carsdirect.com pricing of approximately $22,000 less tax and fees, 10% being roughly $2,000 brings the final value to $24,000.

I will either prove me correct or wrong later today, I will personally call a couple dealers to determine grand total of vehicle.

P.S. If you also want Navigation, the price automatically jumps by roughly $1,750. I think Navigation is pretty cool

By the way, I did not even factor in the "demand" card.

May be I should have been a little biit more crystal clear.
post #68 of 134
msrp on the civic is 19.900 + 500 dest + TTL should still be shy 22K.

civics are hot, and people are sometimes paying above sticker for one. go in there with a check for 22k, and see if they turn ya down.

i've been asking around too - i was thinking about trading in my rsx for one. i've been getting msrp + ttl quotes. nothing higher.

the navi is nice though - but it's an unnecessary option. however, with navi comes a few extra options on your stereo, which is kinda cool.
post #69 of 134
Oh yeah I had a camry loved it, got a a new civic and loved, but then the day came when Lexus came out with a hybrid suv 400h and I get that in two weeks for my 21st B-Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P Civic is a nice choice the new ones are so nice!!! I loved my silver one!
post #70 of 134
I have a Mazda protege and I'ts 3 yrs old. It's great I have never had any kind of problems with it at all and it gets great gas mileage as well.
post #71 of 134
Get the SCION tC, fully loaded, cheap and its a toyota
post #72 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by yujie
Get the SCION tC, fully loaded, cheap and its a toyota
the tC is a lot of bang for the buck. for about 19,5 OTD it comes with a lot.

drives like a boring compact sedan though.
post #73 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by yujie
Get the SCION tC, fully loaded, cheap and its a toyota
i LOVE the Scion tC. i'd do anything to own one. screw fast muscle cars. tC is just as sleek.
post #74 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchy
msrp on the civic is 19.900 + 500 dest + TTL should still be shy 22K.

civics are hot, and people are sometimes paying above sticker for one. go in there with a check for 22k, and see if they turn ya down.

i've been asking around too - i was thinking about trading in my rsx for one. i've been getting msrp + ttl quotes. nothing higher.

the navi is nice though - but it's an unnecessary option. however, with navi comes a few extra options on your stereo, which is kinda cool.

Confirmation. I guess I am both wrong and right depending on how you look at it.
If you play the 'demand card,' then I would be correct .
But if you don't play the 'demand card' then Pincy would be correct .
Current quotes: ranges from $25,000 to 26,000...California...market
dictates value. Demand greater than supply inevitably increases price tag.

The dealers that I contacted will not sell for $22,000 given that they carry
an extremely limited supply (i.e. 1 per lot total and 2 at best)

I personally would not swing with the Civic Si. I did see one roaming around
town not too long ago, and was not impressed. But it definitely looks better
than the 'normal' honda coupe. I'd prefer one of the following (in no
specific order)...definitely greater in price but nonetheless:

LEXUS IS250/350 (price: $33,000/$43,000),
BMW 325coupe/330coupe (price: $31,000/$37,000),
Mercedes C230/C280/C350 ($29,200, $32,950, $37,550)
Infiniti g35 coupe ($33,000)
Nissan z350 ($27,000 - $35,000 depending on trim),
post #75 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchy
msrp on the civic is 19.900 + 500 dest + TTL should still be shy 22K.

civics are hot, and people are sometimes paying above sticker for one. go in there with a check for 22k, and see if they turn ya down.

i've been asking around too - i was thinking about trading in my rsx for one. i've been getting msrp + ttl quotes. nothing higher.

the navi is nice though - but it's an unnecessary option. however, with navi comes a few extra options on your stereo, which is kinda cool.

Confirmation. I guess I am both wrong and right depending on how you look at it.
If you play the 'demand card,' then I would be correct .
But if you don't play the 'demand card' then Pincy would be correct .
Current quotes: ranges from $25,000 to 26,000...California...market
dictates value. Demand greater than supply inevitably increases price tag.

The dealers that I contacted will not sell for $22,000 given that they carry
an extremely limited supply (i.e. 1 per lot total and 2 at best)

I personally would not swing with the Civic Si. I did see one roaming around
town not too long ago, and was not impressed. But it definitely looks better
than the 'normal' honda coupe. I'd prefer one of the following (in no
specific order)...definitely greater in price but nonetheless:

LEXUS IS250/350 (price: $33,000/$43,000),
BMW 325coupe/330coupe (price: $31,000/$37,000),
Mercedes C230/C280/C350 ($29,200, $32,950, $37,550)
Infiniti g35 coupe ($33,000)
Nissan z350 ($27,000 - $35,000 depending on trim),
yeah - from what i've heard, a lot of dealerships are quoting above msrp. chances are they'll sell it to you at msrp if you say you'll buy it on the spot. i've been roaming aroudn the si/rsx forums, and people even in cali are getting it for msrp.

btw, the new IS is overrated. nothin' but old geezers driving it it seems. it drives like an old man. i'd take the bmw 330 over it any day. the g35 however, is tasty. i might get one of those down the road.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chat