or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stretch vs. Rigid

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
What are the advantages and disadvantages to Stretch jeans and Rigid jeans? Since all of the big designers make both, I figure there must be a great reason. Does anyone know?
post #2 of 22
In my opinion, rigid jeans are like a work-in-progress with an overall greater pay-off than stretch jeans.

Stretch tends to hug your body which can be beneficial is you have nice curves. I also personally like it because it is resilient and will stretch out, but bounce back after a wash. It's more comfortable to wear - at least initially.

Rigid jeans need to be broken in. The initial breaking in process is not fun. However, once they are broken in - they are incredibly flattering, moreso than stretch because they seem to elongate the leg. After a few washes, they become softer & more conformed to your body.

I tend to go stretch because I am impatient. However, I do notice that rigids tend to look better on me. Imo, if you were to go rigid, I would start with TR as their denim is very, very soft.

I hope that helps!

Helen
post #3 of 22
I don't like 100% cotton (rigid) jeans anywhere near as much as I like stretch! Stretch jeans will hug you in all the right places and move with you...with my rigids, I have to buy them SUPER tight or they'll get too big within about an hour! With stretch jeans, I can buy them in the size that fits me perfectly when I first try them on and feel confident that they won't be falling down after ten minutes. Stretch jeans all the way!
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
Thank you both for your different yet very helpful responses. All of my jeans are stretch, but I notice that often rigid jeans are less expensive, so I'm considering giving it a try. I gather from posts I've read on this forum that rigid jeans are a bit smaller than stretch. Should I size down as long as I can zip and button them?
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by estherriver
Thank you both for your different yet very helpful responses. All of my jeans are stretch, but I notice that often rigid jeans are less expensive, so I'm considering giving it a try. I gather from posts I've read on this forum that rigid jeans are a bit smaller than stretch. Should I size down as long as I can zip and button them?
I always wondered why people said to size up for rigid, because I always size DOWN! I'd say that if possible, go somewhere where you can try on a bunch of rigid SFAM to see what size generally fits you a little bit on the tight side. If you get that size and wear it for a little while, it should stretch and fit you perfectly. If you can't try them on anywhere, try your regular size and see how that works out and then you can always go bigger or smaller from there. Good luck!
post #6 of 22
I love how stretch jeans can "hold" things in, but at the same time, my rigid jeans feel a lot softer than the stretch. I used to size up rigid, but now buy my regular size and even though they're a little snug in the beginning, they always stretchout perfectly.
post #7 of 22
I definitely like the way rigid jeans fit me better (they don't cling to all of the stuff I don't want to show off!!!) ~ but, I still wear both stretch and rigid
post #8 of 22
I love either, I don't really pay attention to the differences other than stretch start out soft and stay soft whereas rigid are a bit more stiff and have to be washed and broken in.
post #9 of 22
What do you mean when you say rigid jeans need to be broken in? (my jeans at most have only been worn once, washed once)
In SFAM I like both stretch and rigid. In TR I love rigid, but I'm not a fan of stretch. TR stretch is too clingy (for lack of a better word). I hate citizens stretch, because they fell baggy by the end of the day. Does Citizens even make rigid? I wear the same size(s) in both stretch and rigid.
post #10 of 22
To me, "breaking them in" means making them a bit more soft and having them conform to my body as opposed to the stretch which naturally cling. I also don't see any size differences in stretch and rigid, I'm the same in both, like Renee
post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
Yay! I just woke up to so many answers! Thanks! I think it's time to take my new wealth of knowledge to Nordstrom!
post #12 of 22
good luck and HAVE FUN trying on lots of fun jeans!
post #13 of 22
I like both, but it depends on the brand I guess.

In TR's though- the stretch Joeys fit really strange- they were really snug in the thighs/butt/hips area and huge in the waist. Needless to say I returned them and got a rigid pair. The rigid Joeys on the other hand fit perfect and stretch out just enough.

SFAM's- I like both stretch & rigid. The softer rigid washes like Arubas are super comfortable, but then so are the more rigid rigids like my HAV2's- they just feel a bit rougher and are a bit thicker weight denim.

COH's- I have never tried on a pair of rigid ones, but I can tell you the stretch ones are fantastic. I love the Faye jeans- they are like COH's version of SFAM's dojo jean.
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolve
I love how stretch jeans can "hold" things in, but at the same time, my rigid jeans feel a lot softer than the stretch. I used to size up rigid, but now buy my regular size and even though they're a little snug in the beginning, they always stretchout perfectly.

I agree^^^
I get the same size for stretch and rigid.

Some SFAM's of course do vary a bunch in the sizing, so you have to go based on style w/those particular ones.
post #15 of 22
I am starting to love rigid! I agree, the fit my body better and are more flattering. I do have stretch jeans, and I still wear them, just not as much as my 100% cotton ones.
post #16 of 22
I love rigid SFAM....they're less comfortable though (too tight in the thigh area....) but defnitifly better fitting for girls who have a bit junk on the legs like me.....
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmRenee
What do you mean when you say rigid jeans need to be broken in? (my jeans at most have only been worn once, washed once)
In SFAM I like both stretch and rigid. In TR I love rigid, but I'm not a fan of stretch. TR stretch is too clingy (for lack of a better word). I hate citizens stretch, because they fell baggy by the end of the day. Does Citizens even make rigid? I wear the same size(s) in both stretch and rigid.
CoH makes plenty of rigids, and I like them more than CoH stretch because the material seems to be thicker. CoH rigids have their back pocket signature h stitched in beige instead of the usual dark blue...
post #18 of 22
OMG, don't even get me started on thsi topic!

As most of you already know, I LOVE rigid jeans! They're a million times more flattering on my body than stretch. Rigids seem to accentuate the good and hide the bad.

I'm small, but very curvy. I look like I'm trying too hard to get attention in stretch, which is NOT the look I'm going for.
post #19 of 22
hehe /\ I knew I'd see you in this thread eventually Nat! I also love rigid jeans for all the reasons the other girls said. I loove the feeling of nice, crisp denim straight out of the dryer that molds itself perfectly to me over the day! they feel so supportive.
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by theherman
hehe /\ I knew I'd see you in this thread eventually Nat!

they feel so supportive.

^^You know I had to give my $.02 on this!

And "supportive" is the BEST word to describe rigids! Good call Christin!
post #21 of 22
I Loooove stretch jeans. In Coh and Seven I mostly wear the stretch jeans, like naomis, Ingrid stretch.The only pair of rigid I own are CAE Dojo Cops. I also have some dojo grommets in Dark Havana on the way( got them for 90 at saks so it did not matter whether they were stretch or not!!!). I hope those fit ok or I will have to return them. I also love nyd botcut stretch the best, they are sooo soft. My nyd dojos are stretch, but they don't really feel like stretch jeans.

For my body type stretch jeans works the best at flattering my figure. I think you have to try both and see which works with your body best.
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiekat

In TR's though- the stretch Joeys fit really strange- they were really snug in the thighs/butt/hips area and huge in the waist.
which is why I love them. I can't do rigids because my hips are too wide and my legs are too skinny, they just don't build rigid jeans that way. I have to stretch the waists in all my stretch jeans, rigids you can't do that nearly as easily.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Seven For All Mankind