or Connect
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › Chat › What maketh a man
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What maketh a man - Page 3

post #51 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetter
i agree with meowmixcat's thoughts the most. very logical and well written. and probly the most realistic.

i am wondering if the same people who try so hard not to immediately "judge" others are capable of interpreting first impressions. cos well, if you think about it, it's based off of the same principle. a first impression is really nothing more than a toned down form of judging.
i would also venture to say that most of the people who get accused of "judging" are probly better at picking up first impressions than those who pride themselves on getting to know the person first which.. is of course the moral (?) thing to do but how many of us truly take the time and get to know people that we perceive to be far detached from our own personal style?

thank you.
Ya, when people say they don't judge, it's either an evasion or an admission of stupidity - that's just not how the human mind works.

Humans differentiate and make distinctions between different things. That's how we understand the world. Maybe we "shouldn't" (and says who?) make jugments of people based on outward appearances, but the reality is that we do.

Sometimes impressions are incorrect, and maybe that's too bad but so what, you revise your evaluation of whatever person and move on. But generally, generalizations (assuming they are not arbitrary and or taught by other people) are based on past experience.

If I've met 100 people who dress like ghetto gangsters and they all act in a certain way and listen to rap music (or whatever i find to be common to all people i meet who share a certain characteristic), i have every reason to believe that the next person dressed like a homie g will be the same.
post #52 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by themeowmixcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetter
i agree with meowmixcat's thoughts the most. very logical and well written. and probly the most realistic.

i am wondering if the same people who try so hard not to immediately "judge" others are capable of interpreting first impressions. cos well, if you think about it, it's based off of the same principle. a first impression is really nothing more than a toned down form of judging.
i would also venture to say that most of the people who get accused of "judging" are probly better at picking up first impressions than those who pride themselves on getting to know the person first which.. is of course the moral (?) thing to do but how many of us truly take the time and get to know people that we perceive to be far detached from our own personal style?

thank you.
Ya, when people say they don't judge, it's either an evasion or an admission of stupidity - that's just not how the human mind works.

Humans differentiate and make distinctions between different things. That's how we understand the world. Maybe we "shouldn't" (and says who?) make jugments of people based on outward appearances, but the reality is that we do.

Sometimes impressions are incorrect, and maybe that's too bad but so what, you revise your evaluation of whatever person and move on. But generally, generalizations (assuming they are not arbitrary and or taught by other people) are based on past experience.

If I've met 100 people who dress like ghetto gangsters and they all act in a certain way and listen to rap music (or whatever i find to be common to all people i meet who share a certain characteristic), i have every reason to believe that the next person dressed like a homie g will be the same.
Do you not like people who listen to rap music? Also how exaclty is it that people, dress gangsta?
As is the topic of this thread you shouldn't judge people by their looks.
A person who dresses like "Ghetto Gangsters" could be the nicest person you'd ever meet. But you probably wouldn't get the cance to meet them because you'd probably be stuck in the thought that they'd try to rob you, or whatever the stereotype is.
I know a few people who wear seven jeans, and listen to rap.
Have you ever interacted with someone who listens to 'gangsta rap'? All the people I know listen to rap (among other music), but none of them are gangsters. They were clothing by people who make rap music. I don't know what you consider to be 'Gangster' music. But these people listen to Jay-z, wear RocaWear, listen to 50 cent/G-unit, wear G-unit. They wear Phat Farm and Ecko. And they wear their jeans baggy as hell. Shirts that come down to their knees (Which I find to be tacky), but None of them are gangsters.
And that's the problem with some people. They see someone and instantly make an assumption about them. I wouldn't assume someone was a gangster by the way they dress.
I try not to judge people by the way they dress. I don't look at someone who wears clothes from Walmart/Target/K-mart, and think 'Oh my god this person is so poor, they're wearing jeans that cost less than $20.00'. I have friends who go to places like the mall, wearing sweat pants, or pajama pants. While i think that's tacky, they're still my friends, and I wouldn't be embarassed to walk around with them.
So all I'm trying to say is don't judge someone based on what they wear, or other physical appearences. .
post #53 of 133
personaly , i love clothing but i respect people who dont , and im not a "fashion" guy at all . and i dont living for what people think of me , so if i buy a 250 $ u.s pair of jeans , this is strictly because i like it , not to impress anyone . i wear most of my expensive diesel jeans with 8 $ cheap converse style copy shoe and music band t-shirt . i dont judge people by their style or the music they listen to .
post #54 of 133
I don't judge other people based on their looks/clothing- only myself!
post #55 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeansjeans
yeah but the Office that we watch is way tamer than the Brit version apparently and the main character is Steve Carell (from Anchorman, 40 yr old virgin) and not Ricky Gervais.
I was talking about the British one... I saw the US version and it was lame so I bought both of the British seasons on dvd. It's amazing!
post #56 of 133
Back to the original topic...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say penis size. Or bicep measurement.






























hahahaha cmon laugh! LAUGH
post #57 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by trem0lo
Back to the original topic...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say penis size. Or bicep measurement.


hahahaha cmon laugh! LAUGH
lol you forgot what you say when you really want to find out how much of a man someone is "so . . . how much you bench?"
post #58 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner302
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeansjeans
yeah but the Office that we watch is way tamer than the Brit version apparently and the main character is Steve Carell (from Anchorman, 40 yr old virgin) and not Ricky Gervais.
I was talking about the British one... I saw the US version and it was lame so I bought both of the British seasons on dvd. It's amazing!
i know you were talkin bout the british one :P , i was just pointing out that there are two versions and the US version isn't that great...

i had no idea there was a DVD out for the Brit version, i'm def gonna have to rent that soon
post #59 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by trem0lo
Back to the original topic...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say penis size. Or bicep measurement.






hahahaha cmon laugh! LAUGH
post #60 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmRenee
Do you not like people who listen to rap music? Also how exaclty is it that people, dress gangsta?
As is the topic of this thread you shouldn't judge people by their looks.
A person who dresses like "Ghetto Gangsters" could be the nicest person you'd ever meet. But you probably wouldn't get the cance to meet them because you'd probably be stuck in the thought that they'd try to rob you, or whatever the stereotype is.
I know a few people who wear seven jeans, and listen to rap.
Have you ever interacted with someone who listens to 'gangsta rap'? All the people I know listen to rap (among other music), but none of them are gangsters. They were clothing by people who make rap music. I don't know what you consider to be 'Gangster' music. But these people listen to Jay-z, wear RocaWear, listen to 50 cent/G-unit, wear G-unit. They wear Phat Farm and Ecko. And they wear their jeans baggy as hell. Shirts that come down to their knees (Which I find to be tacky), but None of them are gangsters.
And that's the problem with some people. They see someone and instantly make an assumption about them. I wouldn't assume someone was a gangster by the way they dress.
I try not to judge people by the way they dress. I don't look at someone who wears clothes from Walmart/Target/K-mart, and think 'Oh my god this person is so poor, they're wearing jeans that cost less than $20.00'. I have friends who go to places like the mall, wearing sweat pants, or pajama pants. While i think that's tacky, they're still my friends, and I wouldn't be embarassed to walk around with them.
So all I'm trying to say is don't judge someone based on what they wear, or other physical appearences. .
What i'm saying is that the clothes they choose to wear can give you important and useful clues or insight into the kind of person they are. Maybe this is not always the case, especially if their style of dress is fairly nondescript, but many times what a person chooses to wear represents the type of person they are.

Since you're making the point, yes I do have friends who dress ghetto and in ways other than myself, and that is a representation of the type of people they see themselves as. And they are different than me in that way. I never argued that a person must be exactly like me in order to be my friend or anything even remotely close to that. But the point stands that the clothes a person chooses to wear reflect the person wearing the clothes.

And even though I might have friends who are very different than me (who therefore and unsurprisingly wear different a kind of clothes than me), when it comes to dating, I want a woman who is more similar to me. What this means is that if someone is (for example) dressing like a homie g, or maybe in some sort of traditional ethnic style of dress for example, she is probably not very compatable with me as a romantic partner.
post #61 of 133
I like how these simple threads always become some philosophical bullshit about how people shouldn't be people.

as for what makes a man, testoterone and the associated glands
post #62 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmRenee
Do you not like people who listen to rap music? Also how exaclty is it that people, dress gangsta?
As is the topic of this thread you shouldn't judge people by their looks.
A person who dresses like "Ghetto Gangsters" could be the nicest person you'd ever meet. But you probably wouldn't get the cance to meet them because you'd probably be stuck in the thought that they'd try to rob you, or whatever the stereotype is.
I know a few people who wear seven jeans, and listen to rap.
Have you ever interacted with someone who listens to 'gangsta rap'? All the people I know listen to rap (among other music), but none of them are gangsters. They were clothing by people who make rap music. I don't know what you consider to be 'Gangster' music. But these people listen to Jay-z, wear RocaWear, listen to 50 cent/G-unit, wear G-unit. They wear Phat Farm and Ecko. And they wear their jeans baggy as hell. Shirts that come down to their knees (Which I find to be tacky), but None of them are gangsters.
And that's the problem with some people. They see someone and instantly make an assumption about them. I wouldn't assume someone was a gangster by the way they dress.
I try not to judge people by the way they dress. I don't look at someone who wears clothes from Walmart/Target/K-mart, and think 'Oh my god this person is so poor, they're wearing jeans that cost less than $20.00'. I have friends who go to places like the mall, wearing sweat pants, or pajama pants. While i think that's tacky, they're still my friends, and I wouldn't be embarassed to walk around with them.
So all I'm trying to say is don't judge someone based on what they wear, or other physical appearences. .
and maybe i was wrong to use the word "gangster," since you are taking it literally. i'd like to strike that word and replace it with something like "ghetto" or "homie g" or whatever else that has no alternative (and more accurate) meaning.
post #63 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by themeowmixcat
and maybe i was wrong to use the word "gangster," since you are taking it literally. i'd like to strike that word and replace it with something like "ghetto" or "homie g" or whatever else that has no alternative (and more accurate) meaning.
Sounds like your taking the piss. Why don't you just call it what it is, urban? No need for this 'homie g shit'
post #64 of 133
Kick a "man's" balls and watch him fall. That makes a man. Then kick him some more, steal his money, and run. That makes a man.
post #65 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk_shows_on_mute
Sounds like your taking the piss. Why don't you just call it what it is, urban? No need for this 'homie g shit'
fine. "urban".
post #66 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk_shows_on_mute
Quote:
Originally Posted by themeowmixcat
and maybe i was wrong to use the word "gangster," since you are taking it literally. i'd like to strike that word and replace it with something like "ghetto" or "homie g" or whatever else that has no alternative (and more accurate) meaning.
Sounds like your taking the piss. Why don't you just call it what it is, urban? No need for this 'homie g shit'
Thank you. That's the only reason I made that comment. Because you (MMC) keep referring it go Gangsta. And most f your post on here refer to it. Makes me think you don't see any other people dressed in any other way? Why don't you reference people who are or dress like skaters? Or grunge, or the kind of guys who dress in button dress shirts with spikey hair?? Or how about men who only wear suits & ties? Or women who wear next to nothing? Are you fascinated with Gangsta rap, Gangsters, or people who dress "thuggish"
And by the way, who in the world actually says Homie G? or even the word Homie? I mean come on, that was like the 90s.
post #67 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130_R
I like how these simple threads always become some philosophical bullshit about how people shouldn't be people.

as for what makes a man, testoterone and the associated glands
Right!
post #68 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk_shows_on_mute
Quote:
Originally Posted by themeowmixcat
and maybe i was wrong to use the word "gangster," since you are taking it literally. i'd like to strike that word and replace it with something like "ghetto" or "homie g" or whatever else that has no alternative (and more accurate) meaning.
Sounds like your taking the piss. Why don't you just call it what it is, urban? No need for this 'homie g shit'
Right!
post #69 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn_your_head
Kick a "man's" balls and watch him fall. That makes a man. Then kick him some more, steal his money, and run. That makes a man.
post #70 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by antik_freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn_your_head
Kick a "man's" balls and watch him fall. That makes a man. Then kick him some more, steal his money, and run. That makes a man.
What? it's true, i swear
post #71 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by trem0lo
Back to the original topic...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say penis size. Or bicep measurement.


hahahaha cmon laugh! LAUGH
lol you forgot what you say when you really want to find out how much of a man someone is "so . . . how much you bench?"

Hahaha.

225.

*lumbers out of gym with lats flared*
post #72 of 133
i don't know what else to say. people subconsciously put themselves into categories by the way they dress. naturally one might be a bit apprehensive about interacting with someone (or at least getting to know them really well) who at least appears to vary drastically from the style of oneself. i think that's just human nature. we're all guilty of avoiding others based on superficial observations. is it a good thing? no. is it common? yes. is it a safe mechanism to use to base these assumptions off of people in regards to whether or not we could see ourselves being friends or partners with them? that question is not easily answered.
post #73 of 133
Thread Starter 
I am a tad amused the subject was interpreted so literally. I didn't mean "man" in a sense of "male", it was more of a reference to a "human".
post #74 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampzilla
I am a tad amused the subject was interpreted so literally. I didn't mean "man" in a sense of "male", it was more of a reference to a "human".
I just didn't even read anything
post #75 of 133
Will someone please say that they have never stereotyped a person or group in their lives so I can call complete bs. Stereotyping is basic part of the human subconcious, people do it in order to sort our own personal self image into whatever situation said person happens to be in.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chat
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › Chat › What maketh a man