or Connect
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › Chat › Customer in Canada wants to buy my LV Trevi
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Customer in Canada wants to buy my LV Trevi

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Ok, so Im selling my LV Trevi in the mall and I had someone tell me that they wanted it. She lives in Canada so she said she wants me to mark it as a gift so she doesnt get charged taxes. I have only sold one or two pairs of jeans to Canada and have never sold anything else, at least, not nearly as expensive as this. Can I mark it as a gift, is there even a place for it? Isnt it lying on custom forms though? Any advice? Or am I being to "by the rules" about it?
post #2 of 29
if you claim it as a gift, and a lower amount and it gets lost you only get the money back you claimed on the forms
post #3 of 29
It’s pretty customary to mark expensive items as gifts on a customs form, however as bradl said, if there are any shipping mishaps, you will not be fully compensated. If you are to mark it as gift, ensure the buyer is aware of the implications, and for yourself, make sure to require the buyer to sign for the package when received.
post #4 of 29
Why mark it as a gift? It's not worth risking it with an expensive item like that. Send it global express mail and mark the full amount.
post #5 of 29
Mark it the full amount because if it gets lost, you are screwed. Also you are not obligated to mark it as a gift either.
post #6 of 29
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone! I knew you all would know the answer.
post #7 of 29
Uh oh wheres Ben, this could get ugly

Personally, just ship it USPS and fully insure it. They only charge a $5 fee, and then we sometimes get dinged with taxes, sometimes we dont

But if the item gets lost you are screwed if you undervalue the package.

Even if you mark it as a gift we generally still get dinged the same amount, I almost always get hit with taxes on the packages, even if they are declared gifts
post #8 of 29
ive never been charged fees or anything from something usps'd
post #9 of 29
It isn't so much marking it as gift. Gift only covers declared value up to $50 dollars (I believe), if the marked value is greater than that, the reciever pays duties.

Another thing you could try is merchandise return on an item originating from Canada.
post #10 of 29
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone. I think Im going to fully insure it for full price and not mark it as a gift and have delivery signature added too. Just to be on the safe side. If she doesnt want to buy it after I tell her that I wont mark as a gift, then its ok. I rather not sell it then have something happen later on down the road.
post #11 of 29
Thread Starter 
Oh, one more question: If I were to mark it as a gift, cant I just put down the full value? Or does it just automatically cover only $50 dollars? Sorry, still a little confused but I just want to make sure I totally understand it in case I get the same question from someone else.
post #12 of 29
The buyer would be hit with 1350 dollars in customs fees :P

edit: given that its 50, I might wrong about this
post #13 of 29
Thread Starter 
What!! $1,350 in custom fees!!!? That cant be right! Or did you mean $13.50, lol.
post #14 of 29
No no :P I mean, customs fee on the 1350 dollar valued item.

I have absolutely no clue how they calculate customs fee, but USPS would land you the lowest amount. The worst I ever got hit was 100 dollars for a 300 dollar clothing item.
post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony View Post
No no :P I mean, customs fee on the 1350 dollar valued item.

I have absolutely no clue how they calculate customs fee, but USPS would land you the lowest amount. The worst I ever got hit was 100 dollars for a 300 dollar clothing item.
Lol, ok, i get it now. Wow, well, 100 is still super expensive on a 300 dollar item. No wonder she wants it marked as a gift! Thanks for replying and for your help.
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nprotundo View Post
Thanks everyone. I think Im going to fully insure it for full price and not mark it as a gift and have delivery signature added too. Just to be on the safe side. If she doesnt want to buy it after I tell her that I wont mark as a gift, then its ok. I rather not sell it then have something happen later on down the road.
Wise choice! I've heard of too many people getting screwed these days. I hope it works out!
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopprncs View Post
Why mark it as a gift? It's not worth risking it with an expensive item like that. Send it global express mail and mark the full amount.
Send it Michael Bodell Express




If you send USPS, they'll only have to pay normal canadian sales tax + a small handling fee of a few dollars, which isn't that much to complain about.
post #18 of 29
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone! I'll email her today about the marking it as a gift thing and let you all know what happens.
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
Send it Michael Bodell Express




If you send USPS, they'll only have to pay normal canadian sales tax + a small handling fee of a few dollars, which isn't that much to complain about.
Agreed


Coming from a fellow Canadian this is the best way
post #20 of 29
Thread Starter 
Ok, so, I emailed her and she basically said that marking the item as a gift doesnt mean I will not be reimbursed. She said I will still be fully reimbursed. I replied and told her that I will still not mark it as a gift but will fully insure it, etc. I think I made her angry, but oh well, Im actually thinking about keeping the bag anyway
post #21 of 29
With such an expensive item, you would want to cover yourself first. And about gift, she is wrong, you won't be covered. I recently had a shipping mishap with a 700 dollar product. I gave the buyer the option of either shipping as gift, or declaring full amount. The buyer chose gift, and well there was some damage. Buyer got angry of course, but the dude made the choice. Canada post couldnt do anything, and it was of course out of my responsibility.
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nprotundo View Post
Ok, so, I emailed her and she basically said that marking the item as a gift doesnt mean I will not be reimbursed. She said I will still be fully reimbursed. I replied and told her that I will still not mark it as a gift but will fully insure it, etc. I think I made her angry, but oh well, Im actually thinking about keeping the bag anyway

You should keep it, I've seen it in real life and it's a really unique style!
post #23 of 29
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys for all the advice! Or course, it just makes more sense to cover myself first which is what ended up making the choice for me. Im so glad I asked you guys because I didnt know what all entailed when marking a package as a gift. ^^^I know, the more and more that I look at it, the more I like it!
post #24 of 29
For the price of your LV, she wouldn't save anything by you marking it as a gift since you only save taxes up to $50. She'd only save if you devalue it, which puts you at risk due to the significant cost since it could get lost. You will only be reimbursed for what you insure your package at.
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nprotundo View Post
^^^I know, the more and more that I look at it, the more I like it!
If I could afford it, I would buy it and save you the trouble of shipping to canada!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chat
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › Chat › Customer in Canada wants to buy my LV Trevi