or Connect
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › Top Tier Fashion  › Recommendations for the best versatile white button down
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommendations for the best versatile white button down - Page 2

post #26 of 51
VICKAY SMASH OR NO?
post #27 of 51
no thanks
post #28 of 51
fuck you vicgay. you aint all that anyway.
post #29 of 51
JUS KEEDING I RUV U RONG TIME. <3
post #30 of 51
good thing fashion rules never change
post #31 of 51
I agree that it looks silly to wear a tie in a casual setting as the tie itself implies formality, therefore it would be somewhat foolish to wear one with a band of outsiders shirt which is only for casual settings as it essentially cannot be tucked in and is too informally designed.

However in a non casual setting there are plenty of examples where one could wear a tie with a button down collar.
post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskidder View Post
first of all, a shirt with a button down collar should never, ever be worn with a tie. ties only go with spread collar shirts.
I have no idea where you got this notion, but it is absolutely absurd
post #33 of 51
its a steadfast rule of professional and formal dress. which i see as the only two occasions in which a tie is appropriate.
post #34 of 51
post #35 of 51
Brooks Brothers sells to stuffy, unfashionable business types that are too cheap to go custom. So I don't know if using them as an example is the best way to prove that it's OK.

Ties are a no-go with a button-down collar, and really a shirt whose collar buttons down cannot be considered a dress shirt anymore...it's a sport shirt, no matter what it's made out of.

You won't get kicked out of anywhere for doing it - lots of government types do it, just to add the extra dimension of stuffiness - but why would you ever want to?
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
Brooks Brothers sells to stuffy, unfashionable business types that are too cheap to go custom. So I don't know if using them as an example is the best way to prove that it's OK.
keep proving how right I am about you


Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
, just to add the extra dimension of stuffiness - but why would you ever want to?
because in some circles that extra dimension is
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskidder View Post
a steadfast rule of professional and formal dress.
for the record, I am not a Brooks Bros type but to suggest that they are not an example of iconic American fashion is a display of utter ignorance
post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicvoodoo View Post
keep proving how right I am about you
Seriously, can you ever just keep it confined to fashion? Or do you have to get personal every time you don't agree with someone? JFC, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicvoodoo
for the record, I am not a Brooks Bros type but to suggest that they are not an example of iconic American fashion is a display of utter ignorance
Aren't you the same guy that says there are no rules in fashion, and that dressing is only about what an individual likes? That's pretty funny.

Anyway, this all got started because some peeps were using BoO as an example of why ties with button-down collars work.

I think that a lot of guys wear this look because it's lower-maintenance...a button-down collar doesn't need collar stays, and it doesn't need to be perfectly pressed.

I went to prep school and a lot of people (including me) wore this look because it was versatile. But outside of that setting I really don't think it works.
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
.

Aren't you the same guy that says there are no rules in fashion, and that dressing is only about what an individual likes? That's pretty funny.
that's exactly right

which is why the following statement annoys the fuck out 0f me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post

Ties are a no-go with a button-down collar, and really a shirt whose collar buttons down cannot be considered a dress shirt anymore...it's a sport shirt, no matter what it's made out of.
ross, do you ever read what you write?
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicvoodoo View Post
that's exactly right

which is why the following statement annoys the fuck out 0f me!

ross, do you ever read what you write?
Yeah I do. And I read what you write. So when you berate people for going "by the book," but then say that someone who fails to recognize Brooks Brothers' greatness is "a display of utter ignorance," that's a pretty stark contradiction. If it really was - as you say - not about "the rules" and just about everyone's personal likes and dislikes, then it wouldn't matter to you if I liked Brooks Brothers or not.

But it does matter to you, so I really think you should just drop the "everything is cool, it's all personal preference" act because you clearly don't believe in it yourself. Whenever someone looks "uneducated" on a subject that you deem important, you're the first in line to tell them that their credibility is nil if they don't know X or believe Y.

Do you wanna talk about shirts at all? Or do just want to continue with me, my taste in women, my old boss, or my e-lover Julz, and how much all of those things suck? I'll carry on all day about either one but I don't think the rest of the members want to see the latter course of action.
post #40 of 51
^^^^ you really are a fuckin' idiot!.....you don't have to like a style to recognize that it's iconic..I said BB is not my style but it is indeed iconic
post #41 of 51
yesssss this thread is more like it
post #42 of 51
Thread Starter 
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicvoodoo View Post
^^^^ you really are a fuckin' idiot!.....you don't have to like a style to recognize that it's iconic..I said BB is not my style but it is indeed iconic
What's your point here? Just to call names? Sad.

3Demon - I dunno man. I like casual shirts to have a button-down collar for lower maintenance. Once the press on a non-buttoned collar wears down, the collar points start to work themselves towards your shoulders and it looks kinda silly.
post #44 of 51
Round 37 goes to sonicvoodoo yet again.

(Knowing that ross will have a pissy face and be ready to whine yet again upon reading this was worth writing this post)
post #45 of 51
"The guy who moderates a Honda forum thinks he knows something about classic American style... hah!" said the guy moderating an A&F forum.
post #46 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite42 View Post
Round 37 goes to sonicvoodoo yet again.

(Knowing that ross will have a pissy face and be ready to whine yet again upon reading this was worth writing this post)
PM sent. You got my attention; let's stop shitting up threads.
post #47 of 51
no dudes plz keep on shitting.
post #48 of 51
^ didnt know you were into scat..
post #49 of 51
i will shit on your face son.
i will shit on places you never thought would get shit on.
i will shit on your armpits
i will shit between your toes
i will pull your boxers down and shit on your balls
then i will open up your mouth and shit on your tongues
i will shit on the lips of the first girl you kissed
but i will not stop there.
i will shit on everything you hold dear in this life.
your world will be covered in my shit.
post #50 of 51
ties with button down collars are for doctors that are too stressed out to give a shit what they look like.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Top Tier Fashion
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › Top Tier Fashion  › Recommendations for the best versatile white button down