or Connect
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › eBay and Paypal › Discussion: eBay/Paypal Scammers and Bogus Transactions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Discussion: eBay/Paypal Scammers and Bogus Transactions - Page 2

post #26 of 42
cock face? lol
post #27 of 42
Thread Starter 
well, the payment was completed...which makes me feel like i should just ship the item...wtfffff
post #28 of 42
Just refund it and ask them to confirm their address.
post #29 of 42
Thread Starter 
he said he doesnt know how to confirm addresses with paypal..
post #30 of 42
Than he's a retard who shouldn't be using the internet anyway.
post #31 of 42
Just tell him he is shit out of luck then and take a negative. Its not like you have many choices.
post #32 of 42
do you seriously think sellers on ebay who move even 100 items a month are taking the time to teach buyers how to confirm their address? do you really think anyone gives a fuck? anywhere? at any time?
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrostyjosh View Post
do you seriously think sellers on ebay who move even 100 items a month are taking the time to teach buyers how to confirm their address? do you really think anyone gives a fuck? anywhere? at any time?
I did. There are many other sellers who also try to cut down losses do to scammers. With the expanded seller protection many of these people are now covered. If you search confirmed in title and description ... it only pulls up a little over a million products. So at least some sellers have some common sense.

If a seller wants to factor losses due to unconfirmed address scammers into their profit that might work for some businesses. Personally I would rather sell to a slightly smaller % of the market (users who cannot figure out how to confirm their addresses) then risk taking a loss on an item. It is simple to confirm and if you are in the US, UK or Canada there is really no reason not to confirm.

Of course you also need to figure if you are only selling 1 item and get ripped off it hurts a lot worse then if you sell 100 items and get ripped off on 1 item.
post #34 of 42
how many times would you say you got screwed for the sole reason of an unconfirmed address?
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrostyjosh View Post
linuxchild you dick brain cock face fucker move to the fucking ass philippines and confirm an address there you cock face. imfuckingpossible.
-1 for suggesting that my motherland take in this dick brain cock face fucker, +2 for calling him out on what he is.
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrostyjosh View Post
how many times would you say you got screwed for the sole reason of an unconfirmed address?
Not much because I stopped shipping to unconfirmed addresses as soon as I got screwed the first time. Also now that I have expanded seller protection that cuts back the crap even more because there are no more unconfirmed addresses.

However buyers who paid with paypal from confirmed addresses who did unauthorized chargebacks --- or buyers who paid with bidpay who did chargebacks (but I was covered on all bidpay transactions) would total around 20 - 30 transactions a year (not items - because most of the time my scammers are buying multiple items). The total amount I save by not giving my money away to scammers runs around $3000 a year. Not a whole lot of money in the scheme of things ... but I would rather have that money to reinvest in my business then give it away to some scammer.

I don't know what kind of stuff you sell on your accounts but designer items seem to have a higher risk of fraud to me. When I used to sell computer parts it was the same crap. When I was selling antiques, collectibles, nick nack shit ... there was a lot less fraud in that market.
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrshoot View Post
he said he doesnt know how to confirm addresses with paypal..
How to Confirm a Shipping Address at PayPal



Step1
Log into your PayPal account and click on the "Confirm Address" link. This link should be visible on the left side of the page under the "Enhance Your Account" category if your address has not yet been confirmed.

Step2
Link a credit card to your PayPal account. This is one of the quickest and easiest ways to confirm your shipping address at PayPal. Be sure that the credit card company has the same address as the one on the PayPal account.

Step3

Choose "Apply for PayPal Buyer Credit" as an alternate means of confirming your shipping address. If you are approved for a line of credit through PayPal the address on your application form will automatically become your PayPal confirmed shipping address.

Step4

Complete "Alternate Address Confirmation" if you live in the United States. This option is not available for residents of other countries. When you click on the link for "Alternate Address Confirmation" details will be provided. This process is slower than the first two methods.

Step5

Wait for address confirmation to occur. If you are linking a credit card or applying for a line of credit your address will be confirmed within a couple of days. If you chose alternate address confirmation the process may take a week or more.

How To Confirm a Shipping Address at PayPal | eHow.com
post #38 of 42
^ yep it is simple to confirm and any buyer that can do it should. There is no reason not to.

In business you need to minimize losses. If you loose $3000 a year due to something that could be prevented you need to rethink your business plan. That means in 10 years you would loose $30K + the profit you would make by reinvesting that 30K so depending on your profit ratio it could be a hell of a lot more. Could do a lot of nice stuff w/ that kinda money.
post #39 of 42
Thread Starter 

Discussion: eBay/Paypal Scammers and Bogus Transactions

closed-

refunded, re-listed, and told him to pound sand.
post #40 of 42
30 credit card chargebacks for unauthorized credit card payments through paypal a year? in the united states? thats a lot.

the increase in fraud probably has to do with the fact that you ship internationally and the reason for an increase in credit card chargebacks is because you dont accept returns. i also dont understand why you would be such a stickler for unconfirmed addresses in the united states while still shipping internationally.

i think we can agree that the chances that the op is going to have to invoke paypal seller protection on this transaction are close to zero. if you (op) shipped the item to the buyer i would guarantee you (op) would not have a problem that paypal seller protection would fix.

ive been trying to get this across for about 3 years. and im right. so right that paypal agrees with me and if youre a "powerseller" then paypal doesnt care if the address is confirmed or unconfirmed either.

people put too much emphasis on confirmed addresses and think that somehow because they ship to one that they are protected under more circumstances than they actually are which leads to even more problems. the bottom line is that shipping to confirmed addresses is only relevant in a preposterously small percentage of transactions. so small that paypal doesnt even give a fuck anymore and are tired of dealing with retards like your buyer who cant figure it out.
post #41 of 42
These are unauthorized chargebacks not merchandise chargebacks. Honest buyers would file merchandise chargebacks due to a policy of no returns. Merchandise chargebacks are not covered by paypal seller protection ... and in those cases I would immediately demand the buyer return the item so I can get my product back in order for them to be refunded. Only 1 merchandise chargeback this year so far compared approx 15 unauthorized chargebacks.

Also the majority of my international transactions go well. Most of the time it is an impatient buyer who has not received their item and files a paypal dispute .. only to receive the item a few days or a week later. Prior to eBay/PayPal making a rule that states you must offer paypal on all international transactions I had no loss due to international transactions because the buyers all paid with payment methods that protected me. Since July they have changed the rules ... currently I do not have enough data on international buyers paying with paypal so I can't say if I have more or less chargebacks at this point.

Also although paypal offers "extended protection" you still need to ship with a trackable method to many countries which means UPS, FedEx or DHL since USPS express is not fully trackable to many country. So really they are not offering any additional protection since most transactions do not use a fully trackable method since it would be too expensive .... so in reality they will not loose a bunch of money since it will come outta the sellers pocket and go right back to the buyer or the stolen CC.
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrostyjosh View Post
i think we can agree that the chances that the op is going to have to invoke paypal seller protection on this transaction are close to zero. if you (op) shipped the item to the buyer i would guarantee you (op) would not have a problem that paypal seller protection would fix.
can we just agree with this. everyone. please.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: eBay and Paypal
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › eBay and Paypal › Discussion: eBay/Paypal Scammers and Bogus Transactions