or Connect
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › Chat › Coldplay vs Radiohead? - opinions please.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Coldplay vs Radiohead? - opinions please. - Page 7

post #151 of 231
seriously, it's been well established that radiohead is the greatest band of all time.

time to lock the thread.
post #152 of 231
post #153 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdg1976 View Post
seriously, it's been well established that radiohead is the greatest band of all time.

time to lock the thread.
No, and no.

Radiohead is a great band, but not the greatest (really not even close).
post #154 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by fncestudent View Post
who wants to follow "complex, technical music" anyway? that kind of bollocks thinking is what perpetuates shite like pink floyd to be on the charts for decades. is muse complex, technical music? or are they any good at all - like fuck. if i was a kid in the 70s i would rather bounce around to slade than be challenged by a bunch of tuneless middle class wankers like pink floyd. god how i hate pink floyd.
complex technical music can still be really good. Go listen to zakir hussain or mike oldfield or even the first orb album, or Bach for goodness sake! Just because it's intellectual and not visceral doesn't mean it isn't approachable or enjoyable to listen to.

And for the record, animals is a good album.
post #155 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
No, and no.

Radiohead is a great band, but not the greatest (really not even close).
Jskidder's favorite band = Ross's favorite band

ya dig.
post #156 of 231
Sometimes it takes a complex mind to appreciate complex music
post #157 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Clockwork Orange View Post
Jskidder's favorite band = Ross's favorite band

ya dig.
Your favorite band: soulja boy?
post #158 of 231
^ Or maybe the smashing pumpkins !?
post #159 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
I really just can't agree. There are people out there with far more sophisticated musical palates than me, and I'm not prepared to just say that they've got different taste than me, and that I'm just as qualified to judge music as they are.

I think that all this relativism (particularly where taste is concerned) is a result of people just thinking that they don't need to be an expert on something - or even know what they are talking about - in order to be heard.

If someone likes total shite like Nickelback or Soulja Boy, then their musical taste sucks. No way to sugar-coat it. And their taste in other things (movies, food, clothing, cars) likely sucks too. They probably can't comprehend more complex, technical music because they don't challenge themselves to follow along with it...instead they just want something to roll around in their car and bounce around to.
I understand your point, and it is completely relevant. I agree that there is a level of musical complexity and in some senses musical superiority. However its going to be terribly hard to justify to a Nickelback or Hedley lover that their taste in music is quote "terrible". Fact is that music taste is subjective and people will like different things. Yes, some people will be more keen on listening to more complex styles of music and have a greater appreciation, but you can't possibly say to somebody that they're an idiot to listening to Nickback because their music is far too simple and not complex.
post #160 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ri0tp00f View Post
omgzzz I <3 Dylan
I freely recognize the man's songwriting abilities. There are just very few of his songs that appeal to me and the reedy whiny voice is the final nail in the coffin.
post #161 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_dreamz View Post
Fact is that music taste is subjective and people will like different things. Yes, some people will be more keen on listening to more complex styles of music and have a greater appreciation, but you can't possibly say to somebody that they're an idiot to listening to Nickback because their music is far too simple and not complex.
Again, it's the bolded part I can't agree with. And yes, I would totally argue that a Nickelback fan (or other mainstream shit-rock) has a less refined musical palate, which is probably a reflection of a passive, casual mentality that doesn't like to be challenged. But they probably wouldn't even get your point - they'd just keep repeating, "But I like Nickelback."

Think of it this way - you drive an S4 (I'm also into cars). Would you take someone seriously if they legitimately argued that their '96 Toyota Camry was a better car? Or even that their normal A4 1.8T was a better car?

No, you'd pat them on the head and say "Where is your Mommy?"...which is what you should do with Nickelback listeners, too.
post #162 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
Again, it's the bolded part I can't agree with. And yes, I would totally argue that a Nickelback fan (or other mainstream shit-rock) has a less refined musical palate, which is probably a reflection of a passive, casual mentality that doesn't like to be challenged. But they probably wouldn't even get your point - they'd just keep repeating, "But I like Nickelback."

Think of it this way - you drive an S4 (I'm also into cars). Would you take someone seriously if they legitimately argued that their '96 Toyota Camry was a better car? Or even that their normal A4 1.8T was a better car?

No, you'd pat them on the head and say "Where is your Mommy?"...which is what you should do with Nickelback listeners, too.
Hahaha, yeah I know there's obvious differences between an S4 and a Camry, just as there are obvious differences between Nickelback/Hedley and Muse/Radiohead. Thing is that I feel its hard to scrutinze one good band over another. You end up getting the the pointwhere it all becomes personal taste. I understand you like Radiohead over CP,but I like CP over Radiohead. I know that most peole here feel that Radiohead is far superior to CP but both bands are very successful and both bands have reached to to a large majority of audiences. If you wnt to look atit from an automotive perspective I guess it'd be like arguing the EVO IX is better than the Subaru Impreza STi or vice versa.
post #163 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_dreamz View Post
Hahaha, yeah I know there's obvious differences between an S4 and a Camry, just as there are obvious differences between Nickelback/Hedley and Muse/Radiohead. Thing is that I feel its hard to scrutinze one good band over another. You end up getting the the pointwhere it all becomes personal taste. I understand you like Radiohead over CP,but I like CP over Radiohead. I know that most peole here feel that Radiohead is far superior to CP but both bands are very successful and both bands have reached to to a large majority of audiences. If you wnt to look atit from an automotive perspective I guess it'd be like arguing the EVO IX is better than the Subaru Impreza STi or vice versa.
EVO vs STi is a very good analogy, lol. Personally I am not a Radiohead fan (not hard enough by a mile) so I am sort of indifferent, but I respect them a bit more than CP as they are a little more artistic/out of the mainstream.
post #164 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
EVO vs STi is a very good analogy, lol. Personally I am not a Radiohead fan (not hard enough by a mile) so I am sort of indifferent, but I respect them a bit more than CP as they are a little more artistic/out of the mainstream.
Is it bad to be mainstream? Unless you're one of those pretentious people who put so much effort in trying to be ahead of the curve only to flaunt it to people who don't really care that you were wearing that, or were into that 3 weeks before everyone else was. I don't see what's so bad about a band reaching large audiences and being successful.
post #165 of 231
I think Westlife is the best band of all times, Oh They not a band, they don't play instruments. Sorry, my mistake !
post #166 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malencontreux View Post
Is it bad to be mainstream? Unless you're one of those pretentious people who put so much effort in trying to be ahead of the curve only to flaunt it to people who don't really care that you were wearing that, or were into that 3 weeks before everyone else was. I don't see what's so bad about a band reaching large audiences and being successful.
+ 1 ! If i could, maybe even + the Rocky Mountains...

PS: I like nickelback

Neg away...
post #167 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
Again, it's the bolded part I can't agree with. And yes, I would totally argue that a Nickelback fan (or other mainstream shit-rock) has a less refined musical palate, which is probably a reflection of a passive, casual mentality that doesn't like to be challenged. But they probably wouldn't even get your point - they'd just keep repeating, "But I like Nickelback."

Think of it this way - you drive an S4 (I'm also into cars). Would you take someone seriously if they legitimately argued that their '96 Toyota Camry was a better car? Or even that their normal A4 1.8T was a better car?

No, you'd pat them on the head and say "Where is your Mommy?"...which is what you should do with Nickelback listeners, too.
What a bitch ! If your grammar wouldn't be that good, i'd probably ask "Zodiac, is that you ?"
post #168 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Tee* View Post
PS: I like nickelback
You get a pass; everyone knows that Germans have poor musical taste. And only an American can grasp how shitty they really are!
post #169 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Tee* View Post
What a bitch ! If your grammar wasn't that good, I'd probably ask "Zodiac, is that you ?"
fixed
post #170 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Tee* View Post
What a bitch ! If your grammar weren't that good, i'd probably ask "Zodiac, is that you ?"
Fixed again.

Subjunctive mood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
post #171 of 231
You people know nothing about music.

post #172 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
You get a pass; everyone knows that Germans have poor musical taste. And only an American can grasp how shitty they really are!
What a bitch part 2 ! That statement is even more lame-o and narrow-minded than the one before. And since i actually reckon you to be quite wise, i guess you know that yourself...

Example:

Even though i actually like you, i think that you have a very poor taste when it comes to fashion. ( No offense ) Nontheless, i'd never persist in saying that it applies to all americans, in general.

Do you know what's even worse than "mainstream music" ? People who are trying all the time to buck the trend and strive against the stream, since they apparentely need that in order to enhance their self-confidence. Some people always want to feel special, different, extraordinary and be in contrast to the rest of the world...

Do you even know what music is about ? I guess you should, since you're allegedly such a music expert...

Music is about IDENTIFICATION !

Well now, if persons listen to nickelback, 3 doors down, daughtry, or any other "mainstream crap" and can identifiy with it, since their music is possibly able to touch them, make them laugh, make them cry, make them ponder, awake memories, give them hope, give them strength, give them courage - or whatever - then the listener, as well as the music, have achieved their common purpose and hit the mark. That's what music is about and definetely a wonderful thing. Everything else ( All the things you're referring to ) are absolutely secondary. None really music-loving person in this world gives a shit about whether mainstream or underground, successful or not, commercial or not, worlwide-know or only known in insider circles etc. All that matters is the MUSIC itself...

Oh well, 3 persons within my family- and acquintances circle have studied music ( Master / Maastricht school of music, in the netherlands ), master 4-5 instruments at ultimate perfection, give lessons ( Also singing classes ), produce music, are 32-28 years old and do not only love but LIVE music. Two of them work for EMI music germany at the moment. And yes, they do listen to all that "mainstream shit-rock", like 3 doors down or nickelback; among other things.

I guess that's because of their "less refined musical palate" !?
post #173 of 231
Yah, fuck y'all. The Pussycat Dolls are teh shiznit.
post #174 of 231
I dunno about German taste in Music, The only good thing that came out of Germany is Rammstein !!

The rest is UK, with Rock&Roll and Indie, and US&A with Hip-Hop and RnB ., and some Rock and Punk ! IMO
post #175 of 231
^ Germans have a poor musical taste, or rather none, since Rammstein is the only german band you're listening to !? Well, i guess that makes sense... *Coughs*

Let me fix it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
I dunno about good german music artists. The only good thing that came out of Germany is Rammstein !!
Now it makes sense.

My pleasure !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chat
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › Chat › Coldplay vs Radiohead? - opinions please.