or Connect
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › Chat › has HF become less popular?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

has HF become less popular? - Page 8

post #176 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTUP View Post
I dont think fashion in general has a demographic, thats what makes it so cool. You can be 50 or 15, and be able to choose your own sense of style and still be into fashion
Mike Jeffries agrees with this statement.

post #177 of 321
^ +1

I know that every brand has a certain "demographic" that they cater too, Diesel is obviously a differant demographic then say Tommy Hillfiger. And I agree with Malcontreaux, I know how we view fits on here for example, is differant then what the majority of the outside world will think. I have seen 40 + guys and gals wearing Diesels for example ( and they looked great), and they arent marketed to that older age group

In general terms though, you shouldnt have to have a completely seperate forum ( not just sub-groupings) for Diesel, TR, ect. There is nothing wrong with trying to cater to a bunch of groups of people, instead of choosing just one brand or look and running with it.

And saying that
Quote:
Regulating, policing and banning is only a temporary solution.
is kind of pointless to me. So in order to "fix" this site, we just shove everyone into their own groups and step back?

Even if this site was just based on Diesel for example, we would still have arguments and people pissing each other off. I dont think we can blame disputes solely on the fact that we need to have a section for more then one brand or style..

Quote:
The concept of encouraging diverse people to congregate and share is very utopian but in reality, has a limited effective life span. People will always ultimately feel more comfortable around others with similar interests and values
Agreed, but thats why we are all here, because we like designer denim and clothing. I can pretty well gaurntee that everyone here likes more then just one brand.

If fashion is to " wear what you want and not care what peope say" as you have said many times Sonicvoodo, then it doesnt make sense to put people into groups and say " you can only like this style or brand" and think that will help this site, and stop the bickering IMO
post #178 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malencontreux View Post
we see so many people here wearing tight vest, thanaz and hella deep v-necks and boots and how many people do we see in the real world walking around wearing that
at the indie/electro/house clubs in hollywood that is all the guys wear lmao. as well as fedoras, scarves, bling, etc.

and in general, skinny jeans and (particularly AA) deep v-necks are just barely starting to hit the point where the majority of people are wearing them on campus, which i'm not too sure how i feel about. granted, i do live in so cal.
post #179 of 321
People may wear that in the clubs at Hollywood but we all know Hollywood is far from being representative of what the average somewhat fashionably inclined person decides to pull out of their wardrobe and wear. I have a fedora, but I don't pull it out and walk around on campus with it because it would look ridiculous in my setting, unless I'm going to a "pimps & hoes" party.

And the people that are in that scene is small comparitively already, and of that number how many would actually join a designer denim forum, specifically this one. Like I said before, forums may try to be inclusive but what the majority of the members are into make this forum aimed torwards a specific group. I notice it more so with men than women. The women here basically look cute and pretty with everything from Forever 21 to LV and may occasionally push something like colored denim, but the majority of men here wear really tight jeans, v-necks, vests, and boots. And if you're a pretty average male that likes clothes, but could really care less what capris are from what season of Dior you're probably going to scamper off to another forum that dresses similarly to them.

People like to be around people that generally look like them, it's just how it is and it's no different for forums no matter what the forum may disclaim. The only people from around my parts that wear skinny tight jeans are fairies and kids who never got out of their emo stage and can't apply guyliner well. That's why I think this forum is slowing down, the people that come here and do decide to stick around are people who dress similarly to the people here, but for that 1 person that decides to stick around how many move away because members here are so rabid against anything not Diesel and Dior? I still shop at Banana Republic, J. Crew & Express Men's.
post #180 of 321
come on guys everywhere you look people are wearing arm warmers. dont hate!!
post #181 of 321
^HAHAHAHAHAHA!
post #182 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malencontreux View Post
People may wear that in the clubs at Hollywood but we all know Hollywood is far from being representative of what the average somewhat fashionably inclined person decides to pull out of their wardrobe and wear. I have a fedora, but I don't pull it out and walk around on campus with it because it would look ridiculous in my setting, unless I'm going to a "pimps & hoes" party.

And the people that are in that scene is small comparitively already, and of that number how many would actually join a designer denim forum, specifically this one. Like I said before, forums may try to be inclusive but what the majority of the members are into make this forum aimed torwards a specific group. I notice it more so with men than women. The women here basically look cute and pretty with everything from Forever 21 to LV and may occasionally push something like colored denim, but the majority of men here wear really tight jeans, v-necks, vests, and boots. And if you're a pretty average male that likes clothes, but could really care less what capris are from what season of Dior you're probably going to scamper off to another forum that dresses similarly to them.

People like to be around people that generally look like them, it's just how it is and it's no different for forums no matter what the forum may disclaim. The only people from around my parts that wear skinny tight jeans are fairies and kids who never got out of their emo stage and can't apply guyliner well. That's why I think this forum is slowing down, the people that come here and do decide to stick around are people who dress similarly to the people here, but for that 1 person that decides to stick around how many move away because members here are so rabid against anything not Diesel and Dior? I still shop at Banana Republic, J. Crew & Express Men's.
I agree with a lot of what you wrote here, especially how the women on the forum are less...how should I say it....extreme when it comes to following fashion. And I mean this as the biggest compliment ever!
A lot of the guys wearing super-skinny jeans and V-necks and what-not will look at pics of themselves in a few years and go "What was I thinking".
Nevertheless, I enjoy being here because I like a lot of the members and I couldn't care less what everyone wears. Sometimes I forget this is a fashion forum... until I buy another pair of jeans.
post #183 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiconner View Post
A lot of the guys wearing super-skinny jeans and V-necks and what-not will look at pics of themselves in a few years and go "What was I thinking".
why do you say that? i don't think i'll be regretting it at all.
post #184 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiconner View Post
A lot of the guys wearing super-skinny jeans and V-necks and what-not will look at pics of themselves in a few years and go "What was I thinking".
since i'm in college, i figure that if i enjoy wearing skinny jeans now i might as well because i likely won't be able to get away with it in a couple years

plus, i have a certain amount of desire to look back and pictures of me and see how my style's changed over the years. if i look the same as time goes by, why spend so much time thinking about fashion?
post #185 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanduke View Post
why do you say that? i don't think i'll be regretting it at all.
Take it from someone who has cycled through a few decades of fashion, you won't "regret" it, but there will be something that you'll say "what was I thinking ".
It amazes me how most photographs can be dated just by the clothing when it is a group of people.
post #186 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiconner View Post
A lot of the guys wearing super-skinny jeans and V-necks and what-not will look at pics of themselves in a few years and go "What was I thinking".
Eh...a t-shirt and jeans is the classic American uniform. It will never go out of style, and even the wildest expressions of that formula on this forum aren't that wild.
post #187 of 321
someone start an evolution of personal style thread
post #188 of 321
It's kind of funny because out of all the male street fashion forums I've been too, it has been skinny jeans and skinny shirts (not so much deep v-necks because those are so 2007...mmm right?).
post #189 of 321
Soo....the reason for HF becoming less popular is because of deep v-necks and jeans?
post #190 of 321
I think it is more about people getting over designer denim. A lot of people may have been denim obsessed before, but not quite anymore. Maybe it has something to do with the new mall also.
post #191 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTUP View Post

If fashion is to " wear what you want and not care what peope say" as you have said many times Sonicvoodo, then it doesnt make sense to put people into groups and say " you can only like this style or brand" and think that will help this site, and stop the bickering IMO
I never said people should be put into groups but rather that people inevitably end up in different groups because of clothes [sic] mindedness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malencontreux View Post
That's why I think this forum is slowing down, the people that come here and do decide to stick around are people who dress similarly to the people here, but for that 1 person that decides to stick around how many move away because members here are so rabid against anything not Diesel and Dior?.....
my point exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
Eh...a t-shirt and jeans is the classic American uniform.
exactly, and by definition, uniforms are very seldomly stylish and almost never express individuality
post #192 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicvoodoo View Post
but rather that people inevitably end up in different groups because of clothes [sic] mindedness.
Agreed, people ususally do tend to follow a crowd, whether they think they are or not. Sometimes tastes just change..

I also think we should be modding less and allow people to say what they want. Like mentioned before, I think we should jump in ONLY when it goes way way overboard, and make a "post at your own risk" type of disclaimer

I think certain sections for the most popular brands will always be needed, and as peoples tastes change, sure they may migrate to other things, but as long as we have sections that are also there to discuss whatever brands people want to, we should be fine. The fashion section has been growing,as has the dry denim section

Not everyone has the budget to jump on SuFu and buy $700 hightop sneakers and $400 imported japanese raw denim, so I think there wil always be a market for a forum that deals with middle to high end goods. And people can still talk about those brands in other sections here

Maybe we should look at restructuring a few of the most popular sections, and just having general ones for the rest. That way people wouldnt feel restricted to the main brands mentioned here?
post #193 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malencontreux View Post
People may wear that in the clubs at Hollywood but we all know Hollywood is far from being representative of what the average somewhat fashionably inclined person decides to pull out of their wardrobe and wear. I have a fedora, but I don't pull it out and walk around on campus with it because it would look ridiculous in my setting, unless I'm going to a "pimps & hoes" party.
Interesting that you mention fitting in with the setting. I find that in Vancouver BC, unless you're going to a specific hipster party or entering that scene Thanaz and V-necks look a bit out of place. I work in the nightclub industry here and guys are still stuck in CA/Ed Hardy/True Religion Joey stage. Personally I still rock the V-neck and occasionally even put the Thanaz with it. I definitely look a bit out of place in the scene/crowd but who gives a f-ck, if it looks good it'll transcend the trends right?
There is something to be said about blending in with the crowd you're working, but another thing to be said about not caring what may be the most popular and going with what might look good. (although it could be argued that the V plus tapered jeans itself is just a fashion trend, although from another area).
post #194 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
Eh...a t-shirt and jeans is the classic American uniform. It will never go out of style, and even the wildest expressions of that formula on this forum aren't that wild.
Absolutely.
post #195 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanduke View Post
why do you say that? i don't think i'll be regretting it at all.
I say that because I've been there - done that. I didn't say you'll regret it, but there will be some "What was I thinking moments" down the line....
post #196 of 321
^Just a part of life I'd say.
post #197 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by biodiesel View Post
^Just a part of life I'd say.
True, but that's why there is no need to put down people who are not following the same trend.
post #198 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiconner View Post
True, but that's why there is no need to put down people who are not following the same trend.
Who really puts people down here though? I just don't see it...

The people that get put down the hardest are the people that are trying to pull off "the same trend", but are buying the wrong stuff and being stubborn/unresponsive to advice. Like the guy in the Diesel forum with the huge ass who wears Gloovy. And even he doesn't get treated that badly.

I think the anti-criticism crowd is making too big a deal out of what happens here...and it's beyond me why we need to have theoretical arguments about things that may or may not even happen. Humans have a way of only noticing what fits their preconceptions, so if what you want to see is people being mean and nasty, that's what you'll see.

I challenge anyone who thinks HF is too harsh to find an example of a thread that got really out of hand, with new people being bashed and intimidated. I think you'll find less of that, than this:

Step 1: inexperienced member posts a slightly dopey or easily answered question
Step 2: established member enters thread with a slightly snarky comment, offers to help anyway or at least tells the guy to search
Step 3: Another established member comes in to attack the other established member for being such a jerk. Usually makes a comment like, "this is why this forum sucks now."
Step 4: A flurry of insults and a discussion of the board's future viability ensues.

Most threads get out of hand because of people that aren't even involved with the initial exchange. Usually it's not the OP of a dumb question or bad outfit that gets the most pissed: it's established members who have a definite urge to be in charge, and want to control the behavior of other established members.

This is why I left AF: I commented in one member's "my new jeans" thread and said that they didn't look particularly flattering on him. I got promptly blasted by a few established members, including one moderator, because what I said "wasn't very nice." What's ironic is that their reaction to me (I was a new member) was far worse than a newbie getting his outfit criticized. And what's even funnier is that the OP of that thread was not offended in the least by my comments.

I find that the "Be nice and positive all the time" crowd is usually a group of passive-aggressive power players who can't take a neg, and use "defending" other members as a cover for getting what they want...but what do I know?
post #199 of 321
^ LOL That's a funny story. I wasn't refering to anyone in particular - I was just making a statement, which is that we (all) should keep that into perspective: fashion is volatile and really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. It's a hobby of some sort. When you got that down, then you can comment away all you want! Also, one should always wear what looks best on him/her according to their body-type, height, weight, etc. Here's one example: my mom (who lives in Italy where everyone follows fashion) wears whatever the latest trend is (including skinny jeans - sigh). I tried to talk some sense into her sooo many times, because frankly, she looks ridiculous in them. They're wrong for her age and body type. It's just not flattering at all on her. You know what she tells me instead? That I'm not following fashion and if I would, I would wear them too because they're in now. That just doesn't make any sense to me.....
post #200 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry_miranda View Post
How about this....be less obnoxious....and stop calling new members morons on their first post. There is a way to criticize without being rude. That way you dont scare potential new members away.
But this reaction is very rare! More so than you think.

HF is actually quite welcoming, and telling someone "do a search, but here's the info anyway" - which is the most common response hands-down - does not qualify as being obnoxious or calling people morons.

Im speakeing literally here.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbonesknows View Post
you're a moron the honest mall is full of things in a size 26-28 and if you're really intent on buying something go to the Diesel store...welcome to the forum...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chat
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › Chat › has HF become less popular?