or Connect
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › Womens Designer Jeans › Ladies Lounge › I need a non-whey post-workout shake substitute!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need a non-whey post-workout shake substitute!!!

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
This is really weird, but the I've never really had problems drinking whey protein, but lately, I'll immediately develop these really really bad stomach aches, bloating, and gas right after I drink my post-workout shake. I mix 2 servings of Champion Nutrition whey to get 46 grams of protein. I'm thinking it must the quantity because I've mixed some of the same whey into my home-made protein bars and I never get problems with those bars.

Is there a substitute to whey that my body can quickly absorb during that critical post-workout period? I really really can not do the same PWO shake because the stomach pain is so bad that I literally can not do anything but lie in bed and try to sleep it off (which always screws up my sleeping schedule).

HELP!
post #2 of 23
Why don't you just use less whey powder? Your body can't absorb 46 grams of protein at a time anyway.
post #3 of 23
I'm using ESP to send you my reply.
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe View Post
This is really weird, but the I've never really had problems drinking whey protein, but lately, I'll immediately develop these really really bad stomach aches, bloating, and gas right after I drink my post-workout shake. I mix 2 servings of Champion Nutrition whey to get 46 grams of protein. I'm thinking it must the quantity because I've mixed some of the same whey into my home-made protein bars and I never get problems with those bars.

Is there a substitute to whey that my body can quickly absorb during that critical post-workout period? I really really can not do the same PWO shake because the stomach pain is so bad that I literally can not do anything but lie in bed and try to sleep it off (which always screws up my sleeping schedule).

HELP!
It might not be just the quantity, but the quality. Check the ingredients, is the first ingrediant whey concentrate?

If so, you have your answer as to why your stomach and gas is killing you ( and those around you)

Get the better " %100 whey isolate" which is lactose free and will not cause bloating, gas or cramps
post #5 of 23
Thread Starter 
INGREDIENTS: Micro-filtered and ion-exchange whey protein concentrate and isolate, whey peptides, natural and artificial flavoring, xanthan gum, salt, sucralose, carrageenan.

Yes, there is a period at the end. Didn't realize that the list was also a sentence.



So Chris, do you have any suggestions for 100% whey isolate proteins? Taste is most IMPORTANT to me. I've gagged at too many whey brands. GNC so far has been by far the most unpalatable.

But curious...how come I'm suddenly being affected by the quality? I never was before.
post #6 of 23
Sucralose the artificial sweetener can give you *ahem* what we like to call sliders.

My pro powder is EAS and it has basically same ingredients as yours. Vanilla.
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe View Post
INGREDIENTS: Micro-filtered and ion-exchange whey protein concentrate and isolate, whey peptides, natural and artificial flavoring, xanthan gum, salt, sucralose, carrageenan.

Yes, there is a period at the end. Didn't realize that the list was also a sentence.



So Chris, do you have any suggestions for 100% whey isolate proteins? Taste is most IMPORTANT to me. I've gagged at too many whey brands. GNC so far has been by far the most unpalatable.

But curious...how come I'm suddenly being affected by the quality? I never was before.
The kind of protein you have is the cheap whey concentrate. They use all kinds of fancy bullshit names to make it sound more potent, but whey concentrate is still whey concentrate. Look for a brand that has %100 whey isolate as the ingrediant and NO OTHER types of protein afterwards.

Pure %100 isolate also has no lactose which adds to gas and bloating. And if your drinking your protein on an empty stomach and not eating a meal afterwards, that may account for your problems. Cheaper concentrate on an empty stomach ( especially with the serving size you take) will almost always give gas and boating to some degree.

If its taste your after with no gas ect, these are the best

Isopure Protein - Health & Beauty - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review

Isopure has no chalky or grainy texture, and it mixes almost like a powdered fruit drink. Amazing taste and when its cold, its rather refreshing.
And you can drink half of the bottle, and cap the rest. Or just go with the powder and mix your own.
post #8 of 23
cellmass works miracles for me
post #9 of 23
There is also brown rice protein powder or hemp protein powder. The brands I've seen are dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, gluten-free, and vegan.
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by starl3tte View Post
There is also brown rice protein powder or hemp protein powder. The brands I've seen are dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, gluten-free, and vegan.
How do they taste?
post #11 of 23
Thread Starter 
starlette, does the protein get absorbed into the body as fast and as efficiently as whey protein?
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby View Post
How do they taste?
So far, I've mixed the hemp protein powder into smoothies or cereal (made with hemp milk), so I don't know if the powder has its own unique taste, but the smoothies/cereal taste fine to me. I use the plain flavor, but it also comes in vanilla and chocolate. More info on the product: Living Harvest - The Official Website & Online Store - Hemp Seed Nutrition - Unearthing the Benefits of Hemp Seed

I also have individual packets of brown rice protein powder in plain, vanilla, chocolate, and mixed berry, but I haven't tried those yet.

However, I'm not really that picky when it comes to taste..what's more important to me is that I don't set off certain food sensitivities.
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe View Post
starlette, does the protein get absorbed into the body as fast and as efficiently as whey protein?

Sorry, I wish I knew. =(

I don't use the hemp protein powder as part of a pre- or post-workout regime, but rather as a way to get in some extra protein and omega 3's and 6's (my diet is primarily vegan, but also soy-free).

But if I find out more info, I'll post about it.
post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 
These are supposedly whey protein ISOLATE. Anyone know if these are just as effective as CUTUP's Isopure recommendations? If so, I think I'll go with the cheapest per serving, even if it doesn't taste as great (as long as it's not as bad the whey protein I'm currently using).

Bodybuilding.com - Whey Protein Isolate Products Sorted By Price Per Gram Or Serving!



There's also this regular whey protein, but this one says it has lactase and stuff for the lactose intolerant. Anyone know how much that really helps?

100% Whey Gold Standard is an excellent source of protein, quickly delivering the fat loss and muscle gain you desire.
post #15 of 23
I use Isopure. In fact, I recenly bought 12 containers @ GNC...it was on sale...50% off plus I had a 25% off coupon. It's lactose free and dissolves easily. I use the vanilla which tastes OK but not as good a Optimum 100% Whey Gold Formula. Also, be sure to take some simple carbs PW to spike insulin levels in order to shuttle the nutrients faster through your body to repair the muscles you just teared away at with weights.....a couple of slices of white bread work well...or you can add dextrose to your protein shake
post #16 of 23
Simple carbs, piece of fruit, dates, grapes, an apple.
Sonic, white bread is shit!! I'm shocked!

Pieces of fruit are great in a protein shake!
post #17 of 23
NAV, i'm lactose intolerant and I'll stand by ON 100% whey gold... I've been taking it for years and love it still. Never had any problems with digestion at all.
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by begret View Post
.........Sonic, white bread is shit!! I'm shocked!.................
begret, 95% of the time you'd be correct but post workout you want carbs with a high glycemic index that burn very quickly...you want to achieve an insulin spike...it's the only time you want an insulin spike......2 pieces of white bread are perfect
post #19 of 23
Dates are like 108!!!! That's the only time I can eat them as they are so quickly absorbed...
I'm not a bread eater, never have been, so I like dates the best
post #20 of 23
I developed very bad stomach problems and it became painful from the whey and working out.
My doctor recommended a new protein just came out made from papaya leaf plants its called papayamine its worked really well for me. You can google it you may find its a good solution for you.
post #21 of 23
Shakeology is the only protein shake that's super tasty and doubles as a superfood drink and protein shake. It's kind of pricey but if you google info about it you'll see people are nutso about it and it's totally worth it! To get it directly Team Beachbody Coach
post #22 of 23
quite simple drink getorade.. or redbulll... both are caffine.. and they really work well as energy booosters.. u'll be able to pump u r self in n time...
post #23 of 23

I think the problem with the brown rice protein powder or hemp protein powder, is that they are plant based proteins, which dont contain the full set of amino acids by themselves for bodybuilding needs. Although i could be wrong?

I also have the problem with gas and bloating from whey. Ive tried all different types (isolate, concentrate, different brands etc) I was wondering if taking JUST amino acid pills, would be a good supplement, and wouldnt cause these symptoms??? After all, protein gets broken down into Amino Acids by the body anyway.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ladies Lounge
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › Womens Designer Jeans › Ladies Lounge › I need a non-whey post-workout shake substitute!!!