or Connect
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › Chat › Should legal immigrants get food stamps?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should legal immigrants get food stamps? - Page 9  

post #201 of 308
^^^+1! i can't actually believe they have a website devoted entirely to such a specialized niche field lol
post #202 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrostyjosh View Post
its kind of fun to see who the neggers(hahaha) are
if you really want to feign indifference, you're better off not posting something clearly reactionary. +1 for such hilarious inadvertent irony, but then -1 because i realized the pho restaurant just closed a few minutes ago.
post #203 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by arriarri View Post
And, finally, this whole argument is ridiculous. Speaking from a purely economic point of view, it's silly to bitch and moan about food stamps and aid to the poor. As several people have pointed out already, it's a very tiny portion of your taxes that go toward domestic and foreign aid. Again, from an economic point of view, you'd be better off spending your time studying hard so that you can become another privileged asshole, and not bitching about the $0.03 that was taken off your paycheck to feed someone less fortunate than you.

To criticize the hard-working poor from the height of your socio-economic status (achieved by your parents' labors, not by yours) on an online forum is probably one of the least honorable things you can do.

I'd like to see Sevenkid or Zeitgeist stand up to a coal miner or a factory worker, or a *gasp* legal immigrant who has escaped genocide in his own country and tell them, to their face, that they're inferior to the average college-educated schmuck who's had everything handed to him on a silver platter simply because he was fortunate enough to be born into a family that could afford to give it to him.
It doesn't matter if it's $10,000 a year total... money given directly/in stamps to undeserving people who aren't earning enough of an income to support themselves is still money that could have gone to better use elsewhere.

And, yes, I have no problem expressing to a person receiving government assistance without a legitimate medical reason that they are inferior to those who have not needed assistance. If they're doing a "backbone" job without needing unearned government money my hat goes off to them.
post #204 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe View Post
^^^+1! i can't actually believe they have a website devoted entirely to such a specialized niche field lol

oh yes! In fact, I spent most of my (highly useful and well-compensated) workday perusing the kitler website.

I'm paying for it now, though! All-nighter!!!!
post #205 of 308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arriarri View Post
I'd like to see Sevenkid or Zeitgeist stand up to a coal miner or a factory worker, or a *gasp* legal immigrant who has escaped genocide in his own country and tell them, to their face, that their ridiculously low salary is due to the wrong decisions they've made along the way, and that they're inferior to the average college-educated schmuck who's had everything handed to him on a silver platter simply because he was fortunate enough to be born into a family that could afford to give it to him.
You obviously have trouble reading anything I've wrote. I've defended the working class. Go back and also read what I wrote about my Democrat-friend as well.

If you plan on using my nickname, at least bother to read what i've wrote.
post #206 of 308
sevenkid and notfrostyjosh teaming up as the HF dynamic duo - who ever saw that coming???? lol
post #207 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
You obviously have trouble reading anything I've wrote. I've defended the working class. Go back and also read what I wrote about my Democrat-friend as well.

If you plan on using my nickname, at least bother to read what i've wrote.

Oh, I threw in the legal immigrant in there just for you

I've read what you wrote, don't worry.
post #208 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by arriarri View Post
you'd be better off spending your time studying hard so that you can become another privileged asshole, and not bitching about the $0.03 that was taken off your paycheck (indeed, if you even worked a day in your life!) to feed someone less fortunate than you.
Alright, fuckhead.

This is exactly what I'm going to do. I was born to a 17 year old single mother in a trailer. Instead of letting that consume her and wallowing in mediocrity, she finished high school (on time), finished cosmetology school, and is now making decent money as a professional hairstylist, is married, and has another child (who is 2.) Instead of becoming another white trash kid to a single mom in a trailer park, I studied, worked hard, am going to go to law school and BECOME another privileged asshole, because this is the USA and that's what I can do. If I even worked a day in my life? Fuck you. I worked hard and so did my mom, WITHOUT handouts from the government, it's called pride. When I'm a privileged asshole lawyer, I'll be glad to keep ALL OF MY MONEY that I can because I FUCKING EARNED IT. Bugger off, socialist weasel.
post #209 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe View Post
lol zeitgeist is on a non-partisan negging frenzy

haha i just negged 4 people by mistake checking the history thing. but yeah, it seems the same people are upping and negging the same people.
post #210 of 308
after skimming through this thread, i still think sevenkid should head the HF Welcoming Committee. notfrostyjosh didn't make the cut though because he lacks compassion and sensitivity.

p.s. i'm only picking on 7kid and isfrostEjosh because i know how much those two love it when i tease them
post #211 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenKid0505 View Post
It doesn't matter if it's $10,000 a year total... money given directly/in stamps to undeserving people who aren't earning enough of an income to support themselves is still money that could have gone to better use elsewhere.

And, yes, I have no problem expressing to a person receiving government assistance without a legitimate medical reason that they are inferior to those who have not needed assistance. If they're doing a "backbone" job without needing unearned government money my hat goes off to them.

Dude...

If you're working a minimum-wage job (a "backbone" job) in Massachusetts, you're earning $7.50 an hour. In a 40-hour week, you're going to make $300. In a year, you're going to make $15,600. Approximately 28% of that is going to go to taxes, and you're left with $11,232. Your cheapest Boston apartment will cost you around $700 + utilities, so around $850 per month, on average. Now you're left with $1,032 per year to feed, clothe, pay for transportation, healthcare, etc. And that's without kids. Now tell me, how is this person, who works his honest 40 hours a week, supposed to survive?
post #212 of 308
Avon?
post #213 of 308
You aren't supposed to work minimum wage for life. If you are, you fucked up. Trade workers often make upwards of 20/hour when they are good at their craft.
post #214 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by arriarri View Post
oh yes! In fact, I spent most of my (highly useful and well-compensated) workday perusing the kitler website.

I'm paying for it now, though! All-nighter!!!!
given the pissing contest and nazi-ish/nationalistic nature of this thread, i thought about posting this:

best post ever

but the last time i did i got yelled at. i am sad.
post #215 of 308
youre both talking in general silliness. when i say both, i'm referring with love of course to both casey and sevenkid. i stopped reading zeitgeist's(sp) posts a few pages ago because they're pretty stupid. i also dont get started with the middle east shit. i dont like how the government spends its money really. i dont support the 680 billion on military spending this year, subsidies on sugar milk etc. or our progress and participation on reducing greenhouse emissions.

i dont mind tax dollars going to feed poor kids. i really dont care how they got in that situation. i realize that it could just as easily have been me. feed the damn kids. i dont care if its their mom's "fault" because she had three kids when she was 18-22 years old, doesnt know who the fathers are, cant collect anything from them etc. you know the story. see, food stamps primarily go toward kids.

theres a great article on the effects of food stamps in the American Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 87, no. 3, August 2005, pp. 569-81 titled "Food Stamp Benefits and Child Poverty"

"In 2000, 8.8 million children lived in households participating in the Food Stamp Program, making this assistance program a crucial component of the social safety net. Using the Current Population Survey from 1989 to 2001, we consider the impact of food stamps on three measures of poverty--the headcount, the poverty gap, and the squared poverty gap. We find that in comparison to the headcount measure, food stamp benefits lead to large reductions in the poverty gap and squared poverty gap measures."

"The depth and severity of child poverty are significantly reduced by the Food Stamp Program. The average declinef from 1988 to 2000 in the child poverty gap index was 20%, while the average decline in the squared poverty gap index for children was 28%. These results clearly show that an examination of only the headcount index, or incidence of poverty, would lead to the incorrect conclusion that food stamps do not have an important impact on the reduction of child poverty. Our analysis of the poverty gap and squared poverty gap index makes clear that the Food Stamp Program plays an important role in improving the welfare of children in low-income households."

yay i win the negative rating war.
post #216 of 308
considering that that post came from you, +1 for you
post #217 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar View Post
Alright, fuckhead.

This is exactly what I'm going to do. I was born to a 17 year old single mother in a trailer. Instead of letting that consume her and wallowing in mediocrity, she finished high school (on time), finished cosmetology school, and is now making decent money as a professional hairstylist, is married, and has another child (who is 2.) Instead of becoming another white trash kid to a single mom in a trailer park, I studied, worked hard, am going to go to law school and BECOME another privileged asshole, because this is the USA and that's what I can do. If I even worked a day in my life? Fuck you. I worked hard and so did my mom, WITHOUT handouts from the government, it's called pride. When I'm a privileged asshole lawyer, I'll be glad to keep ALL OF MY MONEY that I can because I FUCKING EARNED IT. Bugger off, socialist weasel.

Not a white trash kid? Too bad you're resorting to trailer park language to make your point. Just calm down, Eminem.

You'll really have a problem meeting your state and your firm's pro bono hour requirements with that attitude. Top law schools (and top-paying law firms) are committed to public service. Doesn't sound like you'd be a good fit.
post #218 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrostyjosh View Post
i dont mind tax dollars going to feed poor kids. i really dont care how they got in that situation. i realize that it could just as easily have been me. feed the damn kids. i dont care if its their mom's "fault" because she had three kids when she was 18-22 years old, doesnt know who the fathers are, cant collect anything from them etc. you know the story. see, food stamps primarily go toward kids.
I'd rather see the money go towards a new library or a school renovation complete with updated textbooks... something that will make it easier for the kids to overcome their obstacles and create a success out of their lives.
post #219 of 308
should i pull up the studies showing the consumption of food greatly increase productivity and information retention?
post #220 of 308
okay, here's my current stance on food stamps or whatever the devil you guys are arguing about.

i don't believe you have to be a government insider to be considered qualified to to have a debate...just don't pretend to know something you don't. that said, i think it makes a lot of sense to think of food stamps as not just the ONLY end-all cure to any one specific social problem. i wouldn't be surprised if it's actually probably just part of a bigger plan targeted at a social problem(s). to keep arguing that food stamps don't do xyz sounds dangerously narrow minded. perhaps food stamps is designed to work alongside with other programs. e.g. maybe the government wants to increase the number of people who will eventually positively contribute to the nation in the long term (not just financially, but on a less tangible social level) with government assistance in education, housing, food, etc. i know my younger brother got a nice scholarship from the government, and i didn't, but that's only because i was a fuck-up in high school (apparently, a 4.0 gpa with straight B's didn't cut it lol...actually, it's a longer story, but'll save you the details).
post #221 of 308
this thread really has been to the moon and back. the argument has gone (not necessarily in this order and may include omissions cause i cant figure out what people are talking about approximately 19% of the time) from food stamps, to who can be considered an immigrant, to illegal immigration, to palestine/israel legitimacy, to whether or not avatar is a jew lover, to whether or not native americans really are "native," to whether or not native americans did or did not have a language, to whether or not casey and sevenkid were or were not making some kind of logical fallacy, to the definition of said fallacy, to whether or not someone with a 105 IQ could or could not be a surgeon, to whether or not people choose to be poor, and now to whether or not i am indeed the king of the honestforum.com or still only a prince.
post #222 of 308
i thought this thread was about cats that wear elton john bifocals?
post #223 of 308
[/IMG]



Shhh... Kitler's watching.


Goodnight.
post #224 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by arriarri View Post
Just calm down, Eminem.
maybe the best diss so far.
post #225 of 308
^^^ not my finest moment, I know, but it's 2am. And seriously - you could make a sweet rap out of his rant! Just try saying it to a beat.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chat
This thread is locked  
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › Chat › Should legal immigrants get food stamps?