or Connect
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › Chat › Should legal immigrants get food stamps?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should legal immigrants get food stamps? - Page 5  

post #101 of 308
This thread has now stopped just being railed as I showed eariler & is now just a full blown train wreck...

post #102 of 308
yeah seriously.
post #103 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie_az View Post
^^ OMG... I think I love you...Great Post!
Love you more!
post #104 of 308
^^ Yeah...we brought love to this thread where there was none...lol
post #105 of 308
i'm all for any kind of discussion, but stop playing into their game. anyone who completely lacks any tact/communication skills clearly lacks any sense.
post #106 of 308
hey NAV, i'm sure this has been asked before, but where did you get your avatar, and do you have the original pic? (i'll just blindly guess its photoshopped)
post #107 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar View Post
BUT, if I am forced to say yes or no to that question, no.

Because:
1. They haven't paid taxes here their whole life.
2. The less food stamps, the less government spending.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. First of all the majority of American population receiving aid such as food stamps, cash aid, etc. are WHITES in rural area not legal immigrants. Secondly, food stamps is a miniscule amount compared to "other" government spending (i.e. weapons/manpower to invade Iraq) and other spending the government is not even disclosing to the public. IMO
post #108 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie_az View Post
This thread has now stopped just being railed as I showed eariler & is now just a full blown train wreck...

I wonder whose insurance will pay for that.
post #109 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by arriarri View Post
Such a good point! We as a society always look down upon those who have crappy jobs that pay minimum wage - the janitors, wal-mart (and other retail) associates, garbagemen, farm workers, etc... yet they are doing jobs that are essential! Problem is, we don't pay them enough and, though they're just as hard-working as any doctor or lawyer, they wind up without healthcare or sufficient means to provide for their families.

A rich kid who buys $200 jeans and goes to college because his parents pay for it has no business sitting here and criticizing those who are not so fortunate! That is judgemental and ignorant to the extreme.
Without people who do these jobs, middle class and above would crumble. I love my trash guys, how else is my trash going to go away? They are an essential part of my routine.
I will say that if you're fortunate enough to have your family pay for your schooling, at least take advantage of it! I know far too many people that piss away the opportunity , not wanting to make the effort to finish school.
post #110 of 308
arriarri: Their jobs do not require expertise or demand higher pay.

RockinGirl: I didn't say that's the only spending that has to go.
post #111 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by arriarri View Post
Such a good point! We as a society always look down upon those who have crappy jobs that pay minimum wage - the janitors, wal-mart (and other retail) associates, garbagemen, farm workers, etc... yet they are doing jobs that are essential! Problem is, we don't pay them enough and, though they're just as hard-working as any doctor or lawyer, they wind up without healthcare or sufficient means to provide for their families.

A rich kid who buys $200 jeans and goes to college because his parents pay for it has no business sitting here and criticizing those who are not so fortunate! That is judgemental and ignorant to the extreme.
I, personally, think it's more ignorant of you to assume that garbage men and farmers are "minimum wage" workers.
post #112 of 308
^^ I think you're just mad because he hit the nail on the head with this point.

"A rich kid who buys $200 jeans and goes to college because his parents pay for it has no business sitting here and criticizing those who are not so fortunate! That is judgemental and ignorant to the extreme"
post #113 of 308
Avatar: surely you can't say that minimum jobs are dispensable... someone's gotta do them. Question is, is it right that we pay people who are doing necessary jobs so little that they cannot support themselves? I know that you can cite to many theorists that will tell you that living wage legislation is not practical, etc., etc., and I would agree. I'm just talking from a purely moral point of view: if a janitor, garbageman, or fisherman is just as necessary as a doctor, is it fair that the doctor makes 10 times as much?

Sevenkid: A lot of migrant farm workers actually make below minimum wage. And what's so wrong with being classified as a 'minimum wage' workers that it would render my statement ignorant? Furthermore, I wasn't targeting you in particular, darling...

Either way, I would argue, those people are a lot more necessary than, say, my job as an attorney. I sit around and shuffle papers all day. I don't make your food supply any cheaper (as do minimum wage farm workers), and I don't keep our cities sanitary (as do various sanitation workers). Is it fair that I make more than they do? Not necessarily.

Barbie - I'm a chick. Yes, our love is sapphic
post #114 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenKid0505 View Post
A good 99% (probably closer to 100%) of those who want to go to college can find some way to do so. Perhaps they couldn't afford the tuition so they just take night classes, maybe they simply go to community college... the fact is that they're pursuing a higher education in some regard. It's your fault if you do not choose to go to college and lack the means to make a reasonable income. If you're unable to afford a spouse/children then why do you have them in the first place?

The only time I can see any form of government assistance as being reasonable is in the case which josh mentioned. If someone has been a hard working individual all their life and gets totally screwed over by illness then yes, I think that our government could pitch in a little bit. Otherwise, and I do mean this, a single mother raising three children on a Wal-Mart sales associate’s salary brought everything upon herself.
Spoken like a true ignorant rich kid
post #115 of 308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinChick View Post
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. First of all the majority of American population receiving aid such as food stamps, cash aid, etc. are WHITES in rural area not legal immigrants.
You're right, but should we allow people to come in and leech off the country? Why not buy them a free house too? Why not let in a billion people to come leech off us?

Btw, Whites are actually unrepresented in food stamps; where both Blacks and Hispanics are overrepresented heavily. According to Food & Nutrition Service Home Page

Quote:
46 percent of participants are white; 31 percent are African-American, non-Hispanic; 13 percent are Hispanic; 2 percent are Asian, 1 percent are Native American, and 7 percent are of unknown race or ethnicity.
Both Whites and Asians are underrepresented per their population.
post #116 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie_az View Post
^^ I think you're just mad because he hit the nail on the head with this point.

"A rich kid who buys $200 jeans and goes to college because his parents pay for it has no business sitting here and criticizing those who are not so fortunate! That is judgemental and ignorant to the extreme"
No, that's a logical fallacy if I've ever seen one. Because I'm not poor I can't comment on the situation of those who are (even when the policies discussed in this topic, you know, effect everyone)? What else is there... because I'm not an immigrant I can't discuss immigration policies, because I'm not playing dress up in camouflage I don't have any business talking about the war?

Your comment was "ignorant" because you stated that farmers and garbage men have "crappy jobs that pay minimum wage".

And, yes, it is fair that we pay so poorly for the "backbone" jobs because there will always be people to take them. No one is forcing the woman earning $8 an hour to work wherever she may work for that wage... she does that job out of her own free will. Everyone (save for some of the mentally handicapped) has the ability to become a physician or an attorney... they've simply made at least one choice somewhere along the line that has prohibited them from doing so.

You are right, it may not be the most altruistic way of thinking... but morality has no place in the world of economics.
post #117 of 308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egotist View Post
Spoken like a true ignorant rich kid
Reminds me of a friend who was given a trust fund and a Mom who inherited a business. Neither worked a day in their life but loved to tell us how we should all vote Democrat to pay for social handouts. I guess it's easy to state that when you haven't worked a day in your life.
post #118 of 308
I'm kinda upset that no one commented on my Ruby Ridge jab. I thought it was pretty good. Refer to: first page.

Oh well
post #119 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenKid0505 View Post
And, yes, it is fair that we pay so poorly for the "backbone" jobs because there will always be people to take them. No one is forcing the woman earning $8 an hour to work wherever she may work for that wage... she does that job out of her own free will. Everyone (save for some of the mentally handicapped) has the ability to become a physician or an attorney... they've simply made at least one choice somewhere along the line that has prohibited them from doing so.
okay, nevermind.
post #120 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
You're right, but should we allow people to come in and leech off the country?
If you are not 100% Native American I think you really need to think about going back to the motherland (whereever that might be for you).

This is a country of immigrants (or a country of land-stealing murderers, depending on your perspective).

Find some proof that the legal immigrant population is damaging our country. You can't because it doesn't exist.

People who have migrated legally and are not well off in a financial sense are often from situations where it is a struggle to find food. They are not looking to live on the dole, they are looking to build a better life for themselves and their families.

Zeitgeist and Sevenkid:
You are treating legal immigrants as though they are the same as those who fall into the category of generational poverty in the US and they ARE NOT THE SAME POPULATIONS!
post #121 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenKid0505 View Post
No, that's a logical fallacy if I've ever seen one. Because I'm not poor I can't comment on the situation of those who are (even when the policies discussed in this topic, you know, effect everyone)? What else is there... because I'm not an immigrant I can't discuss immigration policies, because I'm not playing dress up in camouflage I don't have any business talking about the war?
No, you shouldn't talk about this stuff because you have no idea what you are talking about. You clearly have never researched this topic on your own and are simply repeating bad rhetoric from conservative propaganda. You aren't even doing a good job with it. Your entire argument is fallacious. And incidentally, logical fallacy does not apply in this case. Barbie was challenging your ability to speak with authority on this topic. You have made more erroneous claims in this thread than I can count. This is a perfectly legitimate challenge to YOU, not your argument.

Quote:
Everyone (save for some of the mentally handicapped) has the ability to become a physician or an attorney... they've simply made at least one choice somewhere along the line that has prohibited them from doing so.
That is not true. Not everyone, or even most people, have the mental capacity to be a doctor. You cannot will yourself into intelligence.

Quote:
You are right, it may not be the most altruistic way of thinking... but morality has no place in the world of economics.
So in your view, the world of economics is the only thing that matters? Everyone should live according to the principle of grabbing whatever they can, shoving it down their greedy little throats and/or hiding it away from everyone else. What a sad little world you have there. I like my world with a little bit of morality and compassion for the rest of the human race, so yes, I will pass on yours.

Oh....and just one more thing. Don't think for ONE SECOND that you are superior to that single mother at Walmart who "has no one to blame but herself." Going to college and getting trashed every other night in between skipping your lectures and darkening circles on tests forms does not mean that you have earned a position of moral high ground.
post #122 of 308
^^ casey, If there were a +1000 button for that post you'd get from me.
post #123 of 308
casey, can I be one of your e-girlfriends?
post #124 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie_az View Post
^^ casey, If there were a +1000 button for that post you'd get from me.
Thanks sugar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanybm
casey, can I be one of your e-girlfriends?
Of course!!
post #125 of 308
The mighty Casey up to bat, here's the pitch, she swings, she hits and it's OUT of the park folks!

Casey delivers the e-smackdown. +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey60622 View Post
That is not true. Not everyone, or even most people, have the mental capacity to be a doctor. You cannot will yourself into intelligence.

Oh....and just one more thing. Don't think for ONE SECOND that you are superior to that single mother at Walmart who "has no one to blame but herself." Going to college and getting trashed every other night in between skipping your lectures and darkening circles on tests forms does not mean that you have earned a position of moral high ground.
I swear, they don't pay you enough for your writing Casey. I hope you are making WAY more then minimun wage.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chat
This thread is locked  
DenimBlog.com › Welcome to the DenimBlog Community! › General Topics › Chat › Should legal immigrants get food stamps?