Here are some tips for finding the most flattering fit for your body type:
For Hour Glass Figure:
Look for jeans that are slightly higher rise, which will provide higher coverage in the back as well. Look for brands that offer a contoured waist band, which is a waistband cut on a curve. Boot cut leg are flattering and if you're looking for a more narrow leg, opt for straight-leg over a skinny.
Brands to try: Paige and CJ By Cookie Johnson are great options.
For Fuller Hips and Thighs:
Look for higher rises, rather than lower rises. Higher rises will hit above the widest part of the body. Look for a fabric with stretch. Stay away from fading or details around the hips and thighs, as it tends to make them look larger.
Boot cut styles are flattering, and a straight leg will also be more flattering than a skinny. Wide-leg jeans will also balance out the volume of the thighs and slim them.
Brands to try: CJ by Cookie Johnson and Joe's Jeans.
For a Straighter Figure:
While straighter figures can typically wear a wider variety of styles. To give the illusion of more pronounced hips, a lower rise style will emphasis the hips. Skinny cut legs will be draw focus to hips and legs.
Brands to try: J Brand, Rich and Skinny
If you want to minimize your tummy:
Look for a jean that has a higher waist-band. Aim for the band to fit right below your belly button and try to stay away from low rise cuts, focus on mid-to slightly higher rise fits. This will help to suck in your tummy, acting like a girdle.
Brands to try: CJ by Cookie Johnson, 7 For All Mankind, Not Your Daughter's Jeans
If you want to flatter your butt:
Look for jeans that have pockets. Look for pockets directly covering or that lay slightly above your butt. This will give the illusion of slight lift. Be sure to avoid too small pockets, as it will make your butt look larger.
Brands to try: SIWY, Frankie B
General Fit Tips:
- Darker washes will flatter and lengthen the leg
- If you're petite or have short legs, avoid cuffs as they make legs look shorter.
- Jeans with stretch will eventually get looser, consider sizing down.
- If you have long legs, be sure your pants are long enough.
- Focus on fit, over size/number. Muffin top isn't flattering on anyone!
- Invest in having your jeans hemmed. Many retailers offer free or discount hemming and can do a European hem, meaning that they attach the original hem.
- Many brands that offer a wide variety of sizes. Brands like Levi's, CJ by Cookie Johnson, Silver and Joe's offer a variety of sizes.