Everything You Need To Know About 7 For All Mankind
7 for All Mankind is thought to be one of the first true designer denim brands. The name is based on the idea that the average person owns 7 pairs of jeans at any given time.
Was founded in 2000 by Michael Glasser, Peter Koral, and Jerome Dahan in Los Angeles, California.
In 2002, the brand added a men’s line.
Late in 2002, Dahan and Glasser left the company. They filed a suit against Koral, alleging that they had not been properly compensated. They went on to launch Citizens of Humanity.
In, 2005, the collection added a children’s line.
In 2006, the company expanded it’s empire beyond just denim. It added other apparel, such as blouses and outerwear, as well as accessories such as shoes and handbags.
In 2007, the company was sold to VF Corporation and has been under the Corporation’s ownership since.
7 For All Mankind debuted at the height of the boot-cut jean. One of their first styles was the boot-cut. Which quickly made them a household name with the slim fit, low rise, flattering wash and signature pocket.
The Gwenevere Skinny Jean. This jean is a blend of a jean and a legging. It comes in a variety of different washes. One of the most popular is the Gummy legging, which many celebrities, such as Jessica Alba and Ashlee Simpson are fans of.
The Dojo Trouser Jean is another popular style. It offers a slightly higher rise, slimmer through the thigh and a wider cut leg opening.
Special Collaborations and Collections:
10th Anniversary Collection:
To celebrate their 10th anniversary, the company has revamped their cuts complete with stylish details, washes and fits that made the company famous.
Art + Fashion Collaborations:
7 For All Mankind teamed up with a variety of different artists to create unique pairs of jeans. One example is this pair of the Gwenevere skinny jeans with a floral print. They were the brainchild of Japanese photographer, Mika Ninagawa’s famed floral prints. His unique prints also appear on other 7FAM apparel, such as tee shirts and jackets.
The 7*7*7 Collection is a special edition collection designed to offer a bit more edge and style. Only 777 pairs of each jean created, each one given a serial number, they are truly like art.
- Two of the company’s original investors were part of Marc Jacobs.
- The brand offers two of the most recognizable back pockets, the squiggle as well as the famous “A” pocket. 7 For All Mankind was one of the first brands to add crystals, embroidery and other embellishments on their pockets.
- 7 For All Mankind earned $13 million dollars their first year, which was unheard of at the time for the premium denim market.
- The brand celebrated their 10th anniversary by hosting a party with Vanity Fair, which was based on the book The Seven Senses. The party featured exhibits that integrated the company’s history with each of the 7 senses. In stores, they also featured exhibitions from customers of their favorite memories of the brand.
- The brand is frequently referred to as simply “Seven” or “7FAM”
You can learn more about the brand and shop their products at 7forallmankind.com