Be a part of the community.
It's free, join today!
How To Wash Dry Raw Denim
Edited on 1/17/12
- How To Wash Designer JeansEdited on 6/7/10
- How To Keep Your Denim From FadingEdited on 6/7/10
- How To Remove Glue StainsEdited on 6/4/10
- topicHow To
Alphabetical Article List
11 Tips For Hemming Your Jeans
After you've found your perfect pair of jeans, Hemming can be the final step to securing a perfect fit. Check out some tips for hemming your jeans:
- Wash your jeans before you take them to be hemmed. Jeans do shrink and you don't want them to be too short post-hem and wash.
- Always be sure to wear the shoes you'll be wearing most frequently with your jeans. If you've purchase a pair of trouser jeans for the office and will be wearing them with heels, bring the heels! If you swear by flats, bring your favorite pair.
- Be sure to consult with a tailor when taking more than a couple of inches off of the length. Taking a significant amount of length off of the leg can alter the leg shape. (ie a flare can lose it's flare)
- Ask for the original hem to be re-attached. This will preserve the cohesion of the look. Tailors frequently refer to this as a European Hem or Original Hem. Be sure to specify if you want the original hem. (See Photo above)
- If you're unsure of how much you want taken off, ask the tailor to do an inside hem. This is where the tailor will tack down the fabric inside but not cut any actual fabric. If you change your mind on the length, you can always have it let back down. (see Photo above)
- When hemming waist-bands, it is possible to take an inch to 1.5" off of the waist band. However, anything else will alter the integrity of the jean and likely show. In this case, you may want to try going down a size or a different pair.
- Jeans can be can be taken in along seams (for example, the hips), however, it is best to consult with the tailor and express what exactly you have in mind, as sometimes it will alter the shape too significantly.
- If you're in a bind and haven't had time to take your jeans to a tailor, you can tape up the him with double stick tape, or do a few loose stitches that are easily removable, until you have time to hem them. Cuffing is also a trendy option before tailoring.
- If you're going to tailor your jeans yourself, try an inside hem first, as it will give you more leeway without actually cutting the fabric.
- If you do decide that you want to hem them yourself, there are plenty of online resources both on websites and You-Tube videos that offer helpful tutorials.
- Pricing can range from $10 for simple length hem to $40+ for more dramatic alterations. Do look into the fees at the store where you purchase your jeans. Many stores such as Nordstrom, J Crew and Seven For All Mankind offer complementary or discounted hemming.
- How To Wash Designer Jeans
Currently, there are 199 Active Users (19 Members and 180 Guests)
- › Diesel Fall/Winter 2013 FW13 5 minutes ago
- › How does Chi-tight A fits? 8 minutes ago
- › got fake jeans plus not as described what to do 52 minutes ago
- › What Diesel are you wearing today? 3 hours, 20 minutes ago
- › Kelly Jeans sale? 4 hours, 48 minutes ago
- › What's your latest purchase? (Pics required) 5 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › Mens Superdry Blackwatch L65 Leather Jacket Medium BNWT 9 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › Levi's Jeans collectible? 10 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › Hello! Greetings from Turkey! 10 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › hello 10 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › Nudie Jeans Thin Finn in Organic Dry Ecru Emb by XminusX
- › True Religion Joey Super T in Deep Lagoon by michellepollock
- › Blank Denim Moto Skinny in Sexting Black by kiralicious
- › Diesel Jogg Jeans - Krooley-NE BPX by jeanetic
- › Diesel Braddom 881Z by jeanetic
- › 7 For All Mankind Dojo in New York Dark by desaria
- › Paige Premium Denim Skyline 10" Peg in Rebel by LuckyTweetPink
- › KORS Michael Kors Heidi Boot in Black by ladyheart
- › Ksubi Super Skinny Zip in Black Rinse by JMam
- › J Brand 10" Skinny Leg in Jett by JMam
- › How to use pant hangers the right way by shannone
- › INDiCustom Contest Rules by Alyssaw
- › Singer22 Spring Look Contest Rules by Alyssaw
- › Rules and Regulations for Ladies Lounge Contest by Dave
- › Blogroll and Link Exchange by Dave
- › Jeans and Fashion Questions by Lorna
- › facebook-connect-frequently-asked-questions by Dave
- › The 12 Womens Body Types And Jeans That Will... by shopaholism
- › Denim by Munich
- › Followers And Following by DBLurker