Siwy Denim looking for interns to work directly with Michelle Siwy!
So you say you want to be a fashion designer? Here’s your chance for a dream internship!
Company: Siwy Denim
Internship Location: New York City
Details of Internship: Summer & Fall Internship in NYC
Siwy Denim Design, Public Relations & Sales Internships.
We are looking for a couple of interns to work directly with Michelle Siwy (the Creative Director and Designer for Siwy Denim) in a fun, creative and passionate environment. This is your opportunity to be part of the most beautiful, hottest and inspiring denim line! Our design office is based in New York City with our production facility located in Los Angeles. I am open to having interns in both cities.
What you get: You get credit, clothing stipend (females only ), lunch stipend and priceless hands on experience.
Company Biography: Namesake Denim Collection by Michelle Siwy
Launched in the spring of 2005 in downtown New York City, Siwy offers the ultimate denim collection: vintage-inspired, sexy, fashion-forward designs with perfected finish, detail, and fit. Whether it is the stitch detail that embodies strength or the high quality stretch denim that lends longevity, the Siwy look is tough, feminine and authentic – infusing the LA-dominated denim category with a heavy dose of New York fashion edge. In less than three years, the brand has developed a cult following among denim-heads and style icons including Kate Moss, Sienna Miller, Lindsay Lohan, Mischa Barton, Victoria Beckham, Selma Blair, Rachel Bilson, Nicole Richie, Hilary Duff and more.
Individuals must have some of these traits:
• Ability to communicate effectively and clearly
• Excellent oral and written communication.
• Must be detail-oriented
• Must be extremely organized
• Must have an understanding of sewing, construction and fit. Though you will not be sewing. • An ability to work alone and as a team
• Must remain upbeat and positive under extreme pressure
• Must be creative and have an appreciation for art, design, beauty and imperfection.
• A keen sense of style with a love for fashion.
Typical Duties: Working directly with Michelle Siwy, Creative Director and Designer on fun and creative projects.
• Work as a liaison between factory in Los Angeles and New York Design office.
• Creating technical detail packages for development styles and production.
• Ability to take specs and work on fit sessions with designers.
• Managing wash library and fabric library.
• Sourcing trims and fabric
• Researching vintage denim and style.
• Researching global trends and street style.
• Creating Mood Boards, Story Boards and Inspiration Boards.
• Knowledge of Macintosh Computers
• Skilled in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop for design projects, graphic projects and email campaign
• Helping out on Look Book Shoots: storyboards, styling, dressing models.
Developed in the country’s best wash and sewing facilities in California, Siwy’s superlative, modern tailoring creates a figure flattering denim fit with unprecedented comfort. Quilted pockets lift and shape the backside, and seams carefully follow a woman’s natural curves while subtleties of aging, tinting, wrinkling, and washing add to the design. All lines in the jean accommodate the body and its characteristics when moving, sitting or standing. Long, lean shapes have become a signature look and are softened by a shortened, curved hem at the back of the leg. This discrete design element avoids a dragging hem when worn with sneakers or heels while maintaining a height illusion for women of all sizes. Unexpected takes on classic shapes, such as denim shorts, pencil skirts and cropped styles, add novelty and variety to the collection. Siwy produces four collections per year, each forging ahead with fashion trend and fit. Each piece is finished with hand-crafted labels made out of vintage feedsack cloth. Starting in the late eighteen forties through the mid twentieth century, feedsacks were an integral part of rural American life. Over time, they took on colorful graphics and patterns as advertising. Before it was ever fashionable, the patterned fabric from used feedsacks was recycled into garments and quilts by home-making women on the frontier.
Today, Siwy utilizes this same idea to create a labeling system that ensures that each pair is a one-of-a-kind, original piece of vintage Americana. Siwy is currently distributed internationally in North America, Canada, UK, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Taiwan, Japan and Australia. In the U.S., the collection retails at Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Fred Segal, Ron Herman, Forty Five Ten, Hollywood Trading Company, and Intermix to name a few, as well as several online retailers specializing in celebrity style and the newest trends. Price points range from $145 to $215.
QUOTES FROM RECENT PRESS: • “Then I tried a pair that the sales person brought me that I never would have picked up on my own. I swear the skies parted and a ray of light shined down brightly on the amazing bod staring back at me in the mirror. I heard music and birds chirping. I had found the PERFECT jean…Siwy. Ahh. The back is seriously higher than the front, they are comfortable, the pockets seem to lift your rear, they forgive a multitude of sins with strategic seaming, they make your legs appear longer and most importantly, they make you look skinny. They are the Hannah, rose or Michelle jean by Siwy. Famous fans include; Selma Blair, Nicole Richie, Kate Hudson and Naomi Campbell- Lauren Dimet for Second City Style
• “As goes sphinxlike supermodel Kate Moss, so goes the fashion world. Thus, expect your chicest stylist friends (as well as assorted Siennas and Scarletts) to turn up wearing Siwy Jeans any second now. La Moss’ newly anointed favorite skinny jean (no small feat, when you consider she single-handedly launched the trend) may make your other cigarette-style denim look like fat pants, but there is a silver lining: Designer Michelle Siwy apparently has a secret weapon for making your? ahem? ”back view” look, well, simply super.- Elle.com
• “We’re obsessed”- NYLON MAG
• “One of our editors says she feels like Kate Moss in her skinny Siwy jeans, and we believe her” –Lucky Magazine
• “Kate’s New Favourite!Jeans are big business in fashion, and it’s a race to find the latest, newest denim labels-one that Kate Moss can generally be relied upon to win. The new label currently hugging her hips? Siwy Denim. Rumor has it that she has ordered triplicates of her favorite washes in her favorite cut- the slim crop Hannah”- Vogue.com
• ”I wear them almost every day,” she says. ”Everything comparative feels like mommy jeans.” -Elisa Goodkind , a New York stylist who’s worked with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Vanessa Carlton, says she too is ”obsessed” with Siwy jeans. -Boston Globe
• ”I loved that for the first time, someone really embraced curves,” Thomas says. ”It’s for a woman’s body and it really features a feminine silhouette and celebrates that. It was not a shock to me that she was embraced by Hollywood. Actresses are people too.” -Bobbie Thomas , style editor for NBC’s ”Today Show” and co-host of ”Fashion Police” on the Style network, can’t get enough of Siwy jeans. Not only does she wear them, but she highly recommends them to her viewers.
• “I like Michelle. She speaks about denim with the same passion most of us have for shoes or bags”- Stylefinder.com Visit our website for more information: www.siwydenim.com